Clutch Life?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 10:39 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
DoubleNuts in your defense I will admit that I think the 996 has a weak clutch in this respect. I think the pressure plate is designed to slip under extreme load such as dumping it off the line. IMHO this car is not designed to be dumped off the line like a muscle car. Extreme wheel hop is also likely. It is very tricky to launch. I have found it is best just to not even try. However it is for this reason that a lot of people might have premature failure. When my RMS failed at 6000 mi. I had them change the clutch plate because the rest was under warranty and it cost very little to pay for the plate myself.

Fair enough, I can join you in agreement there with the exception that there are examples of premature failure by very experienced Porsche drivers and members of this list (I am not one of those that has had to repalce my clutch so quickly although I requested the dealer do so when my RMS failed. By the way, my RMS failure was the cause of my engine change by the dealer. Although this is rare there are some of us out there that have complete engine replacements under warrenty due to RMS failure.)

My apologies for my abrasive response, however, I don't think the "numb nuts" comment was quite called for especially when we cold find middle ground on this topic (it was funny though, so on the other hand I got a good chuckle out of it ))
Old 11-29-2004, 10:59 AM
mightytaco
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has 160,000 km's on it and I had the clutch done for the first time at 158,000 km's.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:20 AM
99 C4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to change my clutch @ 45K miles. When I asked the dealer what was the average milage a 996 where you would require to change the clutch, I was told around 30K. I have a C4 and do some city driving. I wonder if there is a difference of clutch life between a C2 and C4?
Old 11-29-2004, 12:18 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

approaching 90k miles, orginal clutch. it grabs fine, but i think the pressure plate has seen better days... the car gets tracked a lot. i never side slip the cltuch under high revs or try to win at stoplight drags.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:19 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by 99 C4
Had to change my clutch @ 45K miles. When I asked the dealer what was the average milage a 996 where you would require to change the clutch, I was told around 30K. I have a C4 and do some city driving. I wonder if there is a difference of clutch life between a C2 and C4?

Hmmmmm, interesting... the dealer said that. So it is not just my opinion...very interesting.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:27 AM
JustAnotherPorsche

Hmmmmm, interesting... the dealer said that. So it is not just my opinion...very interesting.

Talked to the service manager at the Porsche dealer today (largest dealer in Midwest) and told him what you stated to be fact as to clutch life. He kept a straight face while he called over a mechnic. Then they both started laughing. He suggested that I tell you to trade your car in for a TIP.

He also said that if he was asked what the average mileage is on a 996 when they have changed the clutch, they would say between 30,000 and 40,000 miles. However, they say that is because they have not seen many of the higher mileage 996's for clutch problems because they are stil accumulating the miles. He estimated that maybe 5% of the 996's sold since 1999 have had clutches replaced. They also wanted to know what dealer you used that "removed the engine" to change your clutch? (more laughing)

Since you seem to take the word of a Porsche Dealer as the word of GOD, then I guess the following statement you made is wrong:

"First of all you are positvely NEVER going to get a 996 clutch to last 100K miles. I don't care how well you drive it and Porsche can confirm that (don't take from me talk to a dealer 100K on a 996 clutch is simply madness, I mean absolute and sheer LUNACY). It is a well know fact, that if you have owned a 996 longer than 2 years chances are really good that your gonna be doing clutch work... it is simply a known and recognized fact."

I guess the others on this board that claim to have high miles on the clutches are lieing?

I would recommend that, in the future, you might get a little more respect by not attacking people whose experiences differs from your own. You want to state you opinion, fine, but to make up facts that do not exist just to make it appear that you know more than you do is unwise.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:01 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPorsche

Talked to the service manager at the Porsche dealer today (largest dealer in Midwest) and told him what you stated to be fact as to clutch life. He kept a straight face while he called over a mechnic. Then they both started laughing. He suggested that I tell you to trade your car in for a TIP.

He also said that if he was asked what the average mileage is on a 996 when they have changed the clutch, they would say between 30,000 and 40,000 miles. However, they say that is because they have not seen many of the higher mileage 996's for clutch problems because they are stil accumulating the miles. He estimated that maybe 5% of the 996's sold since 1999 have had clutches replaced. They also wanted to know what dealer you used that "removed the engine" to change your clutch? (more laughing)

Since you seem to take the word of a Porsche Dealer as the word of GOD, then I guess the following statement you made is wrong:

"First of all you are positvely NEVER going to get a 996 clutch to last 100K miles. I don't care how well you drive it and Porsche can confirm that (don't take from me talk to a dealer 100K on a 996 clutch is simply madness, I mean absolute and sheer LUNACY). It is a well know fact, that if you have owned a 996 longer than 2 years chances are really good that your gonna be doing clutch work... it is simply a known and recognized fact."

I guess the others on this board that claim to have high miles on the clutches are lieing?

I would recommend that, in the future, you might get a little more respect by not attacking people whose experiences differs from your own. You want to state you opinion, fine, but to make up facts that do not exist just to make it appear that you know more than you do is unwise.

Ahem Ahem (as I take another bite from my apple)....Ahhhhh Did somebody here say they I needed to remove my engine to change a clutch? Hmmm seems I can't recall that being said anywhere but as long as you are going to make things up...ok, I can live with it. But if you were refering to the fact that I had an engine replacement becuase of my RMS failure and I "elected" to replace the clutch while the engine was out, now that is is another story, in fact, a correct one. Of course I could post the receipt from Sunset Porsche here in Portland, OR to prove that but since you have a hard time reading all the posts that are listed here you probably would not see it.

You see, uh what was yer name again??? Lets just call you- Ten Poster, ok? If you check the FAQ's on this Rennlist under CLUTCH REPLACEMENT here you will find that there are experienced Porsche Drivers that are founding members of this list that you are currently posting on, agree and have experienced what I have been saying here. In fact, clutch failures were occuring in as little as 6-10K miles. OH, but THAT COULD NEVER HAPPEN DOUBLENUTS!!! YOU AND ALL THOSE OTHER LIST MEMBERS THAT HAVE BEEN DRIVING PORSCHES FOR YEARS MUST BE IDIOTS AND FURTHERMORE DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A PORSCHE CLUTCH. Yea, yea, yea...I bet you want to buy me and all the others on this list that have expereinced premature 996 clutch failure a pack of gum so you can show us how to chew it. The supreme insult to the founder and contributing techincal staff of Rennlist .

BUUUUUUT ya gotta be right, so, OK what ever you and your phantom Porsche dealer mechanic have to say is ok in your head but there are many here before you "Ten Poster" that have had a very different experience over the years that this list has been in place. By the way let me re-post the following statement that I made and do your self and READ IT CLOSELY then go check your service manuel (WRITTEN BY PORSCHE and let me know WHAT MILEAGE POINT THE MANUFACTURER "PORSCHE" RECOMMENDS THAT CLUTCH WORK OR SERVICING NEEDS TO BE DONE, minimally an inspection)- "It is a well know fact, that if you have owned a 996 longer than 2 years chances are really good that your gonna be doing clutch work... it is simply a known and recognized fact." Yep I said and stand by it, of course that is my opinion but the are several posts here in this thread that suggests your could be replacing a 996 clutch under 50K.

So my point is, "Ten Poster", your post here is waaaaay late ( good job there bub) on this topic and the experience of other users here, some unfortunate and under 50K and admittedly so, many more over 50K simply means that my original point of why this thread has become a thrash DoubleNuts opine soapbox is YMMV , and still holds true.

Last edited by DoubleNutz; 11-30-2004 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:01 PM
NIACAL4NIA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Original clutch lasted 90000 miles

Just replaced my original slipping clutch @ 90000 miles and replaced a perfectly working IMS bearing with an LN ceramic bearing +RMS which was still good and not leaking on a 2002 996 C2. I drive normal mostly 60% city 40% Highway and don't race. Clutch life depends on driving and road condition so a driver in San Francisco could get less miles than driving on flat road.

Quick Reply: Clutch Life?