Sponsored by:

PASM

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 02:31 PM
normlguy
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PASM

I recently bought an '02 C2 CPO from a well-known dealer in the midwest. Before I bought the car, I asked them to send me the spec sheet on the particular car I was interested in. One of the Option Codes listed on the dealer's "Master Vehicle and Customer Database/Vehicle Detail Screen" was P04, which the spec sheet described as "Sport Package w/ Manual and PASM." Another of the listed options was 476, which the spec sheet described as "Porsche Stability Management." Having done some research (but, as you'll see, apparently not enough) on the issue, I understood the difference between the two features to be that the PSM is traction control, and the PASM is the computer-controlled suspension firmness and ride height lowering function.
I now am told that PASM was not available in '02 except on the Cayenne, and that it only became available on the C2 for 2005, and as a $2k option. Yet having learned this, I went to the dealer's website this morning, and found listed an '02 C4S, which the dealer advertises as containing "Sport Package 6-spd plus PASM."
When did PASM become available (either as an option, or standard) on the 911 (either C2, C4, or C4S)? As you can imagine, while I love the car, I'm not all that happy about the buying experience: it's arguable (and I will argue it) that the price I paid included an extra $2k for an option that I now understand was not offered at the time the car was built, and thus cannot possibly be included on the car I now own.
Before I go back and try to make my case for some sort of rebate or make-good from the dealer, any info you could give me would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Speed
Pro

I have an '02 cab and I believe what was offered that year was PSM (not PASM), which stands for Porsche Stability Management which relates just to computer-assisted braking, not to ride hight or suspension. I would suggest that you check the vehicle's warranty/maintenance book if you got it with the car. There should be a sticker from the factory which lists all the option and paint codes that relate to the car. The same sticker should also be on the underside of the trunk lid. The print out you got from the dealer sounds like something that the dealership created, not the factory. The dealer may have made a mistake in in-putting the data in terms of the options that the car has.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

PSM was a 996 option (option 476). PASM is a 997 option (actually standard on the Carrera S and optional on the base Carrera). PSM is standard on the 997.

Option P04 is a 987 Boxster option, "sport package 6-spd plus PASM."

PSM was about $1,200. PASM is around $2,000.

Other than that, you dealer got it right...
Old 11-27-2004, 03:34 PM
normlguy
7th Gear

Thanks, all. The maintenance book I got with the car doesn't correspond to the car, i.e., different VIN number, different options. That's problem no. 1, and that's basically what started the inquiry. I checked the vehicle code under the hood of the car, started tracking the options, and realized I couldn't locate anything comparable (either as an individual item, or as part of an ostensible package) corresponding to the PASM. PSM was listed both on the car and the spec sheet as Code 476, which is how I concluded that the separate P04 reference on the spec sheet didn't refer to PSM. As I said, I saw an '02 C4S listed on their website this morning with PASM.

Quick Reply: PASM