Sponsored by:

Porsche Carseat question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 03:43 PM
jad duncan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Carseat question

I have tried to find info in the archives, but no luck. I have an 03 targa and got the Porsche carseat for 20-70lbs (group I & II). It seems to fit OK in the back, with just enough room for my wife in front, BUT my 22 lbs 29" baby gets lost behind the restraint pillow thing. The seat supposedly fits 20lbs 27" kids, so has anyone else had this problem and is there a solution besides waiting for the kid to grow? It looks completely unsafe and makes the baby very unhappy, but I don't want to have to take the tow vehicle SUV everytime the family goes somewhere.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Hegemon
Intermediate

Jad,
If I understand your dilemma correctly, go to babie's r us, etc. and get neck pads/carseat supports that should stop your baby from moving around in the seat. My 10month old is tall and thin like your kid and it works.

I have a Eddie Bauer seat in our SUV which does not fit in the back of my 01 996. Let me know if it works b/c I also would like to dump the SUV too but have held off on buying the Porsche car seat.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:23 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Can't help you really because I have the prior version Porsche seat without the bolster (which BTW doesn't fit all that well in the back). However, remember one thing - you don't need a Porsche brand seat for the back seat - any seat will do. The only reason for a Porsche seat is to put it in the front when you need the deactivation device. As I understand your problem, Hegemon's suggestion makes a lot of sense.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:59 PM
jad duncan
3rd Gear

I think I may be explaining this poorly. The Porsche car seat has this big pad that holds the child in place instead of the 5 point harness used in most car seats. He fits fine in the Graco seat, but since I negotiated the fancy $400 Porsche carseat into the purchase I don't really want to have to move the Graco each time nor do I want to throw away the Porsche seat (though, that may be what I do, or wait another year). This pillow thing is as high as his eyes, which means his arms and hands are completely trapped behind it. He is bigger than required in the specs, so something seems strange (he is normal height and weight). They may just be bad seats, as I was looking at the Porsche website, and while they only show the infant seat, it only has 3 point belts, instead of the 5 as found on all but the very cheapest car seats.

Hopefully something is wrong, otherwise I may have to take the advice of just not using the Porsche seat and never letting him ride in front.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:32 PM
95M3CSL
Advanced

I have kind of the same issue. I also negotiated the seat into the purchase. The best part of the seat is now I have a way to inactivate the front airbag. In my way of thinking, I could use any car seat approved for my 2 year old boy in the front seat as long as the airbag is deactivated. So, if for some reason he doesn't like his new and different seat, I'll just get a different one, cut off the airbag deactivation buckle thing, and use it with the new seat. Now, your mileage may vary and I'm making the assumption that I can use any appropriate car seat in the front that is not a Porsche car seat as long as the airbag is deactivated.

Also, I called Britax US and according to them, they no longer make the Porsche car seat that I have, the Junior version with the group 1 and 2 designations (for different sizes/weights of kids).

Regards,
Marc
Old 11-17-2004, 09:43 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

jad duncan - I understand your issue and I know what that car seat looks like - I can't believe there is not some way to adjust it, but I assume you tried that. But the suggestion of getting some pads sounds like it might make it fit your child better.

Quick Reply: Porsche Carseat question