993 vs. 996

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:39 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,
I wish a few people would jump in first and build some F class boxsters. My pocketbook is still stinging from being an early 996 racer. That's what's so great about the S2. There are teams around that know how to make them perfect. On the other hand, I would sure love to be in a class with all you nuts.

Moot,
As great as the current GT3 is I can't even imagine what the 997 will be like.
Jim
Old 11-17-2004, 11:19 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get back to the question as to why the resale values are what they are (the "993 vs 996, which car is better" debate is soooo old!), IMO there are two major reasons:

1. general supply vs. demand as was pointed out earlier (demand driven by a large variety of reasons)
2. just as importantly IMHO is that many 996s were leased and the residual values assigned in the leases act as a semi self-fulfilling prophecy and become a lid on resale prices. afterall, how many leasors of 996s actually excercise the buy-out option? I know of only very few.

anyone who frequents the 993 and 993TT forum will know that resale values of these cars have actually been creeping up in the last year. good 993TTs now go for $75-80k vs $65-70k a year ago...really bummed that I didn't get one then, but now looks like the 996TT are getting into this range.

(disclosure: I have a 94 and a 98 993)
Old 11-17-2004, 01:13 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The 993 and the 996 are different cars. Drive both and decide what you want. I have owned both. Each model has its charms and idiosyncrasies and each has its strength and weaknesses. It depends on what you want how you are going to drive the car. Weekend fun car that where you want some of the charm of the older cars, then the 993 is probably the best bet. Daily driver where you want the mix of sport with function, then probably the 996. To make you decision on alleged popularity among purist or to discount and/or claim one car is superior over the other without considering the purpose and intended use is not doing justice to either car."

I think that Brian said this before, and I can't say it better than he did. They are two completely different cars with way different personalities. I just bought a 993 as a daily driver--it is not as comfortable or easy to drive as the 996. It has less space for luggage [or tiny bags rather]. It doesn't feel quite as quick as the 996.

The 993 is, however, my favorite Porsche ever. The look, the clear links to the original 911, the smell of the interior, the bark of the air-cooled engine...all of these factors led to my decision to purchase the 993 instead of buy out the lease on my 996. One other main point: the 993 [mine is the last year for the narrow bodies] is destined to be a classic. IMHO, the 996 is destined to be a depreciation disaster, especially with the 997 being the more desireable water cooled 911 [or so most people who I talk to think so]

Just my $.02--good luck in your search

Quick Reply: 993 vs. 996