Sponsored by:

new buyer in LA

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 12:38 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

996newbie,

How about getting a really imaculate last-year model 933? Check out the 993 forum ... these cars are apparently very well built and are in hot demand right now since the lights are round and look somewhat similar to the new 997..
Old 12-04-2004, 08:59 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prime examples of the last year 993s will cost you more than the first few production years of the 996. There were less cars built. They are the last of the air cooled Porsches which many consider the culmination of forty years of air cooled race car technology.
The two vehicles are not at all the same. Both have their pros and cons. You would need to look at the up and down side of both.
Buying a car with warranty is the best advice that has been given, especially if you will spend all your cash reseerves on the initial purchase. Most cars need a bit of 'sorting' not to mention 'MODS'.
Porsches leave many people with very limited disposable income with a bad taste in their mouths. They a GREAT cars, very well built, but they will need a few bucks thrown their way during ownership.
Best of luck. Post pics when you get your car.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:28 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 453 Posts

I agree with all of the above. I purchased my MY99 996 from a non-porsche dealer in the VA area and so far so good. Mine had 38k on the odometer and was otherwise pretty loaded with everything I would want. I paid actually $36500 for mine but that was cause I was out of the country, am in the service, and got a deal from the sales manager (must like veterans!) But BEFORE I put down any $$$ on it I did pull a CarFax history, a Service History once I got the VIN, and before buying it had my fraternity buddy (somebody I trust right?) go down to the dealer with my wife and drive it and ask ANY and all questions I wanted. Also I had the dealer FIX anything I wasn't satisfied with (broken vanity mirror and intermitently locking center console). So you can own your dream...I've always wanted a 911....just make sure you do the homework! Everyone above IS correct..the cost of ownership is easy but you can easily get caught out trying to maintain a 911 in driveable condition if you don't have the resources (financial and otherwise) to take care of those little things that come up (i.e. a scheduled service=$400-600 and a set of factory wheels=$3500+)

So good luck with your search and if you can swing it...go for it and welcome to "the Club!"

PS
You don't have to get one before you get married you know....I have a wife and 2 kids ages 4 and 5 and am over 30 too so it IS doable!
Old 12-06-2004, 02:07 PM
BigLou
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Newbie,
Did you ever consider a Boxster or Boxster S. You should be able to get something within a year or two of being new with hardly any miles on it for the price your looking to spend, with a warranty?Also the new boxster is on its way, if not here already, so price of current boxsters gets reduced by a bit as a result. I dont know if this an option for you or that you even want a Boxster, but just thought I would throw that out for your to consider. Good luck in your search.
Lou
Old 01-01-2005, 02:42 PM
kepani
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats to 996newbie for picking up a '99 carrera 2. i'm sure he'll post pics as soon as he get them. i went with him several times to take a look at the car as well as getting a chance to drive it. car is great!

kepani

Quick Reply: new buyer in LA