Sponsored by:

Bought 2002 C4 with PCM but no Nav CD

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 03:25 PM
paujones
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought 2002 C4 with PCM but no Nav CD

I just bought a 2002 C4 Cab with Navigation and Cd-Changer. It wasn't until I was ready to drive away that I noticed that the Nav CD was missing. The dealer (not a Porsche dealer) said they did not have the CD, but I could get it from the dealer.

I called the local dealers and the parts guys said I would have to order it with Navteq. I called Navteq and they want $140 for the West CD or $299 for the whole set of North America.

I looked on eBay and saw a 2002 and 2003 CD set, but I wondered if they would work with my 2002 PCM system - or if they are just an older version with outdated maps.

On a US PCM, what is the combination to learn which version of software is installed?

If I have 2.0, and I buy the newer CD's with the 3.0 software, will it automatically upgrade?

Does anyone have a Nav CD, that they would be willing to post or send to me so I could burn my own?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 11-08-2004, 03:32 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I have been told that there is periodic up dates from the dealer for the nav system. I think this is for a new cd. I would think if you buy a older one, it wont have the newest info on it.
The car is a 02, is it still under warrantee? If it is I would take it in and complain it isnt working and see if they wont do a little free work.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:34 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Paul,

This is from RennTech.org:
Vehicle Type: All PCM Equipped Vehicles

Model Year: As of 1998 (W)

Information: This bulletin is to inform you of the PCM software release versions. See the Technical Information Bulletin
pertaining to the specific vehicle you are working on for VIN cutoff dates.

PCM 1:
- Utilizes seven (7) map disks to cover the United States only
- Optionally installed in MY 1998 to MY 2002 vehicles

PCM 2:
- Utilizes two (2) map disks to cover the United States and Canada
- Optionally installed in MY 2003 and up vehicles.
- You can use updated map CD version 2003.1 in early PCM2s after updating the operating system from 2.0 to 3.0. See Technical Bulletin “PCM2 and BOSE Spare Parts Requirement” referenced below.
PCM System Navigation Map Software Release Vehicle Description

Navigation disks are available from NAVTECH. Their customer support number is 1 (888) 628-6277.

I had to spend the $140 to get my west coast disk. It's my understanding that this is supposed to include 1 upgrade, but I don't think Navteq is planning any upgrades for our version - so the free upgrade is worthless
Old 11-08-2004, 10:25 PM
paujones
3rd Gear

Default Thanks for the info

I talked to the dealer again and they said I should call Navtech and order the upgrade. Before I do that I'm going to the dealer and "borrow" a Nav CD to make sure my unit is functioning correctly. Maybe I'll have them do a check to see if all my warranty items are up to date, etc.

Does anyone know if the CD's are "keyed" to the VIN of the car? I know when I had my 2000 BMW M5, folks shared the Nav updates as they were generic.

Thanks again, Paul
Old 11-08-2004, 11:21 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

They are generic, not keyed to each vehicle. I lost mine and a "friend" sent me another one at the Cayenne board. I would send one, but I am currently in a place where I can't get to it. If you still don't have one if a few weeks, PM me and I will copy mine and send it to you. The Cayenne board will help...

Quick Reply: Bought 2002 C4 with PCM but no Nav CD