Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rdstemler
How about Stabil in the gas????
Longest time I've stored my 911 was about 9 months and I didn't put stabilizer in it, had no running problems. I'd still concider doing it though.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:32 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I had to store a 928 I owned years ago in an old detached garage for about 5 months over the winter. Performed most of the above recommendations, removed the battery and charged it once a month. Didn't have good results.

A/C stopped working, driver's side window was stuck, pulled a couple of nests out of engine compartment, battery won't hold a charge anymore and the engine/suspension took many months and miles to run and feel right again.

Car was admittedly well worn at the time anyway, but I'm definitely a proponent of the every 2-3 week full warm-up and use regiment, if at all possible.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:56 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
The 993 manual actually warns you that after driving your car in the city for awhile and then taking a spirited drive, you will see a significant drop in the oil level. It explains that this is the result of burning off mositure in the oil, not burning oil. Every time your engine warms up it creates moisture. If you don't excercise the engine, the moisture will not burn off. Jim
Jim,
With all due respect, that's interesting information about the 993 oil levels dropping, but the manual isn't saying anything about how to store a car there.

It is NOT the engine warming up that creates moisture in the crankcase, it's the engine cooling down that allows small amount of moisture to condense in the air passages of the engine. This is cumulative, such that over a period of time, more moisture collects. Thus the 993 manual mentioning that when the engine is FINALLY run hard, this moisture will be released (oil is burned off, technically, moisture is not). That's also why one sees moisture dripping from the tailpipe of a recently started car--the condensation that took place after the last shut-down is now being blown out the tailpipe.

I would agree with your no-start policy if you ran the car very hard before storage, then ran an E-cylinder (0% humidity) of air into the intake for several minutes before shut-down, then sealed the engine. (That still wouldn't address all the other reasons to start relative to the AC, etc.) Otherwise, the process of moisture accumulation has already begun anew, and I prefer to at least re-coat the working parts of the engine with oil from time to time, knowing that there will always be some residual moisture in engine.

I also favor the occasional full road test winter blast when possible as a great way to exercise more of the moving parts of the car.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:01 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

As I mentioned I received a Porsche Technical Bulletin regarding storage procedures and it recommends not starting the engine until vehicle is put back into service.

MHO!
Cheers and safe driving.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:41 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

caf,
As I mentioned before, do whatever you think is right for your car. I'm sure you know a lot more about these things than I do.

To others, check with a reputable Porsche mechanic and make your own decision.
Jim
Old 10-29-2004, 03:10 AM
phwang20
Instructor

Question~ I don't have room in my garage for my porsche. Any suggestions on how to keep her looking decent? Do you recommend a canopy and/or car cover to protect against the elements?

I'm bummed out about it, but I have a 2 car garage and it will NOT fit both cars...
Old 10-29-2004, 09:13 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by phwang20
...but I have a 2 car garage and it will NOT fit both cars...
What are you keeping in there?

If it's not something great, take either the other car or junk (which you probably have in there since you say it's a 2 car garage) out and put the Porsche in.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:13 PM
phwang20
Instructor

Believe me, I value the Porsche and have thought of that many times before. I have another car in there now (mercedes) and a couple of motorcycles, storage, etc..... NO ROOM!
Old 10-31-2004, 08:50 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

Sorry about re-hashing an old topic folks, but I was just wondering if some and I strongly enforce " some " of the RMS problems is due to seals drying out due to lengthy storage periods. Could this be possible?

Cheers and safe driving.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:41 PM
mdillian3690
Instructor

I am curious about the RMS problem and storage? Could it be possible?

Quick Reply: Winter Storage suggestions?