Becker Radio Woes.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts
Question Becker Radio Woes.........

I've had problems with the OEM Becker stereo in my 964, 993, and now my 996tt. On several occasions, after starting the car, with the radio left in the "on" position at last shutdown, the radio/cd produces no output. You can tune to different stations, or select the CD function, but no sound. The only remedy is to shut the engine off. Activate the central locking with the key fob, then unlock with the key fob. This seems to restore output.

Now, the sound on the FM has gone weak. CD's play correctly, but the output level for FM is low and doesn't seem to have any richness in tone.

Any clues as to what could cause this? Head unit, or is there a separate amplifier?

For what a Becker unit costs, you'd think you get better reliability. I"ve failed 4 since 1993.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:14 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its just something you have to live with in a becker unit. They're crap. The AM and FM reception are something comparable to what the professor from Gilligans island made out of coconuts.

Anyways, your problem is usually indictive of a bad ampilifier, which is either a bose or hamann piece, I belive. Anyways, take it to the dealership and let them throw parts at it.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:53 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had several problems with my stereo, and they ended up replacing the radio, cd changer and Bose amp--there was a tech note on it a few months back from PCNA saying to change all 3 units to the latest mod. No problems now.

Quick Reply: Becker Radio Woes.........