996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Looking for opinions on bumper for 00 996 cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 08:45 PM
a911driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Programmatore, do you have any more pics of your car? I have been doing lots of research. It seems like the only quality options are OEM and RUF because they are both real urethane. I am starting to really dig the vertical vents of your RUF bumper. I have two concernsthough , my lack of desire for side skirts and the bumper angle. To be honest, I don't like Porsche side skirts because they look and are bolted on. The gap/angle change is off. I have concerns that the nose angle on the RUF isn't enough in-concert with the 996. I trust your opinion/analysis.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:33 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I am in NYC all week and don't have access to my photos. I will post some more when I get back to D.C. this weekend. I'll try to some take photos of my car next to my neighbor's (ocean blue metallic 996 coupe) to give you a better idea of the look of the Ruf RGT kit vs. stock.

FWIW, have you checked out the current prices of the RGT bumper and skirts from Weissach? It's been a while but if I remember correctly I paid around $2,400 for the bumper and skirts (shipping included).

.:programmatore:.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:51 PM
programmatore
Drifting

a911driver,

Here are a couple of pictures of the bumper and side skirts. I hope you get a better idea of how they look from these pictures. If you want a shot from a particular angle/viewpoint just let me know.

The Ruf RGT bumper is more angular/square than the stock bumper. As you can see from the first picture, the Ruf bumper drops straight down (as opposed to curving in like the stock bumper). The Ruf side skirts also drop straight down. The car looks lower with the skirts on but the skirts don't really lower the car a lot -- it just looks that way (it looks more aggressive with the skirts IMHO).

Like I said in my previous post, you don't have to worry about the sideskirts scraping but you do have to watch out for the nose since it is lower than the stock. The second picture will give you a good idea of just how much lower it is.

Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2004, 12:52 AM
a911driver
Intermediate

I think it looks great. I went with the OEM aerokit bumper because it wasn't too much of a change and it was immediately available. We are going to see if we can put a screen behind the grills. Ill post pictures when I get it back mid-week.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:51 PM
mastermind
Advanced

Originally Posted by programmatore
Hey mastermind, that looks good. Good color match too. You should get clear sidemarkers though. All the cool kids have them.

Heh... thanks. I choose to be different by NOt having clear side markers!

Originally Posted by programmatore
One question though...I didn't see a hole and plug for the tow-screw. How would you tow the car? Did it come with a hole and plug for the tow-screw and you just finished it flush?
Yea, it didn't come with a hole for the towhook... although I probably could have put one in before paint. I choose not to. If it ever needs to get loaded up on a flatbed, I'll have to use the rear hook mount behind the rear plate.

I really like the clean look of no plate holes and no tow hook hole.... a bit risky I know....

t
Old 10-19-2004, 08:36 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Hey Mastermind,

The amber side markers actually look good on a silver car. They looked horrible on my blue car though.

I know what you mean about keeping the front "clean". I was in a meeting (unavailable) when the body shop called asking me if I wanted the front license plate installed (a requirement in Virginia) on the Ruf bumper. By the time I got the voicemail and called them back it was too late -- they had already drilled the holes. Thank goodness for Eric and BumperPlugs.com!

Cheers,

Old 10-21-2004, 12:30 AM
a911driver
Intermediate

I just got my oem aerokit bumper installed. It looks great. It adds about 4 inches to the length of the car and hangs a little lower. The lip hangs even lower and I've already scraped it leaving the parking lot of a drug store. I'll post pics within the next couple of days.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:58 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Take those driveways slow, and at an angle! You'll get the hang of it. I scraped mine up (thankfully just in the underside) when I first got it. Congratulations on the new bumper!

Cheers,

P.S. Now is the time to think about whether you want to get a clear bra for that newly painted bumper.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:42 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RUF or OEM aerokits are the only ways to go, quality wise, other companies arent as good, and the other tuners are a bit ricey
Old 10-21-2004, 02:51 AM
mastermind
Advanced

Originally Posted by Moogle
RUF or OEM aerokits are the only ways to go, quality wise, other companies arent as good, and the other tuners are a bit ricey
Can't agree with that - I find my mashaw bumper to be far superior to the oem that came off the car... although I will agree there are many companies out there that produce absolute crap, so oem or ruf are a safe bet.

Very, very, very happy with my choice.... pictures can be found earlier in this thread....

t
Old 10-21-2004, 03:58 PM
programmatore
Drifting

I agree with Trevor. There are a lot of crappy kits out there but there are also a lot of good ones like Ruf, TechArt, Gemballa and MA Shaw kits to name a few.

You have to do your research. Find out what the manufacturer's kits are made of (urethane and FRP are good) and talk to others who have bought kits from that manufacturer. Once you're satisfied with the manufacturer then pick the bumper that you think looks good (note that "looks good" is highly subjective -- I chose Ruf over TechArt and Gemballa because I think the last 2 are over the top or "cartoony" IMHO). There is no point in picking a kit solely based on looks only to have it crack the first time you hit a parking lot on-ramp or sag during the first heatwave.

Having a high quality kit is a good start but it is only one part of the equation. You also need to find a good body shop. I have seen way too many ricer cars with aerokits that look like crap...the paint is flat or cracked and peeling, the texture is rough or looks like an orange peel, etc. Find a good shop that knows how to "prep" the parts. Some materials need to "cure" before painting. Make sure the shop sands and primes the parts before painting even if the kit is "ready to paint".

If you do your research and find a good kit and body shop then you should get excellent results.

Old 10-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Dubai911
Racer

Trevor can we see more pics of the mashaw bumper please. It looks good, but I have some questions:
Is it lower than the stock one? ie would one need to put sideskirts as well so everything is on the same level? can we see a front 3/4 shot with front and side?
What is inside the openings? Mesh? close up shot appreciated.
Cheers
Ramy
Old 10-23-2004, 12:51 PM
a911driver
Intermediate

After doing tons of research, urethane is the only way to go because they can take a hit and bounce back. Most of the others are too rigid and don't allow for too much flex. Urethane is also more easily repaired. MASHAW uses a home made composite of layered cloth in a mache. I've heard good things, but its too risky in Berkeley, Ca where the roads are bad and the hills are steep.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:55 PM
mastermind
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by Dubai911
Trevor can we see more pics of the mashaw bumper please. It looks good, but I have some questions:
Is it lower than the stock one? ie would one need to put sideskirts as well so everything is on the same level? can we see a front 3/4 shot with front and side?
What is inside the openings? Mesh? close up shot appreciated.
Cheers
Ramy
Yea.. mesh in the openings... personally i like it... I can just see a hint of the radiators which to me is sexy... need to get the 3rd radiator to complete the look.... (oh yea.. it'll help the car run cooler too!!)

It's lower than stock... with my PSS-9's set the way they are I do scrape sometimes... but it's gonna happen. I've scraped prolly around 10 times, but it's all on the bottom where you can't see it.

At some point I may do side skirts.... not sure yet....

t
Attached Images   
Old 10-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Dubai911
Racer

Nice, it looks like side skirts are in order to balance the profile?

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on bumper for 00 996 cab