Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Question - WHY Tiptronic Over 6 Speed Man ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 11:35 PM
ubergeek
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting to see how some manual shift owners look down upon tip owners as if tip owners do not know how to shift properly. I do prefer manuals and own nothing but mauals except SUVs but dont assume people buy tips/autos because they dont know how to drive a stick. Remeber that there is no clutch you have to manually enagage in f1 cars either.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:39 PM
JLJ

Originally Posted by ubergeek
Interesting to see how some manual shift owners look down upon tip owners as if tip owners do not know how to shift properly. I do prefer manuals and own nothing but mauals except SUVs but dont assume people buy tips/autos because they dont know how to drive a stick. Remeber that there is no clutch you have to manually enagage in f1 cars either.
yes there is a clutch in f1 for starts. and you can shift any car without the clutch by backing off on the gas. not that its a good way to do it
Old 10-06-2004, 09:45 AM
JeffPlastow
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious. We have a 6 speed manual 996. We also have a Mercedes ML with Mercedes version of the Tiptronic transmision. While it technically works, there seems to be a total lack of "feeling" when shifting the gears and a noticable amount of delay. While I know that it is very hard to compare the transmissions of a sports car and truck, I'd be interested in peoples opinions on the "feel" of the 996. To make it more clear, we had an auto 928 and often "shifted" the gears ourselves. While there was no clutch, there was still a connection when going from 2 to 3 for example. The Mercedes on the other hand feels completely electronic, a sensation that I'm not as fond of (for enjoyment... I'm sure it works 10 times better).

So, does the 996 tip feel overly "electronic", or is there still some sort of mechanical feel to the system?

Jeff
Old 10-06-2004, 10:19 AM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

Having just gone from a manual gearbox to the tip gearbox in a 996 there are obviously changes in the "feel" of the car. Also going to a C4S , the car feels heavier but alot more solid then the Targa.

There is certainly some mechanical feel to the Tip transmission under hard or spirited driving but then there is also a smooth feel while just cruising to work in traffic. The shifting is smooth but not as lifeless as the ML we had years ago and "feels" better then the BMW system we had on our 540.

I look forward to tracking the car this Monday at Dunnville, a very tight circut, will be a good test of the system. I intend to get back into a 6speed for track days anyway, but it will be fun to throw the tip around.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:13 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Carbon is correct. No comparison between an ML and a 996 Tip. My Cab is a TipS and I enjoy not lifting when shifting in manual mode.. I like downshifting approaching a curve or stoplight. I always drive in manual mode and start off in 1st gear.

It is definitely different than std. but has it's own benefits.
Also the stats for a Tip and a manual are not that different if you check.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:57 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It is definitely different than std. but has it's own benefits.
Also the stats for a Tip and a manual are not that different if you check.

Porsche's own performance figures show almost 10% less performance when using the TipS. That's a pretty substancial difference if you ask me.. That's like lowering your horsepwer from 330 to 300.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Porsche's own performance figures show almost 10% less performance when using the TipS." That's straight line performance. Put the two cars on the track and the difference, according to race car drivers like Hurley Haywood, is negligible. Tip's advantage on the track is that it's easier to keep the car stable. check some of the posts above on that.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:44 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer sticks over tips, but I do not look down on the tip. However, since my car has PSE, I cannot imagine having as much fun with a tip. I have noticed that I have changed my driving since installing the PSE just to hear that sweet, sweet sound. I have also, on occassion, used it in place of a blast of the horn. Porsche as musical instrument?
Old 10-06-2004, 02:46 PM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with the TIP for the same reason that I bought a cab. Flexibility, so that I can drive the car every day, enjoying it for the situation that I happen to be in.

Sunny day in the mountains - top down, manual mode

Rainy day on the freeway, talking on the phone & drinking coffee - top up, auto mode

(and a whole lot of circumstances in between, that I can re-cofigure for in seconds).

Do I lose ultimate performance by having a cab or by having a TIP? Perhaps, but the overall package is still quite satisfying for any situation I find myself in.

I drove manual performance cars for many years. Do I miss "rowing the gears" ? Not really. Keeping my left foot still and my hands on the wheel is different, but not worse. If you ever dreamed of shifting while your right foot was planted, you ought to actually test drive a TIP and have a first hand experience before nay-saying. It's not for everyone, but I'm sold.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I prefer sticks over tips, but I do not look down on the tip. However, since my car has PSE, I cannot imagine having as much fun with a tip. I have noticed that I have changed my driving since installing the PSE just to hear that sweet, sweet sound. I have also, on occassion, used it in place of a blast of the horn. Porsche as musical instrument?

PSE sounds just as good with a Tip...in Manual mode it's the same sweet sounds.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:32 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i prefer a stick over tip - generally. however, there are times during stop-go traffic (especially on a hill) when i might prefer a tip. that said....my girlfriend and i keep tossing around the idea of getting a 996. in that case - despite my best efforts to teach her a stick - she'd be more comfortable with a tip. and since we'd both be driving it, i can handle a tip in the garage. i'd rather have a tip 996 than no 996 at all....unless i'm 'stuck' with my 951!!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 04:30 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
PSE sounds just as good with a Tip...in Manual mode it's the same sweet sounds.
Yes, but what about the sound of rev-matching, or even pushing in the clutch and blipping the throttle as a signal to that pedestrian who appears to be considering crossing the intersection on a "no walk" signal. I view it as the Porsche equivalent of "loud pipes save lives"
Old 10-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

You can Blip the tip...
Old 10-06-2004, 06:18 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
You can Blip the tip...
No joke? How? "Blip the Tip" sounds like a campaign or marketing slogan . . .
Old 10-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Thread from antoher board...on blipping the Tip..man that sounds nasty...

Blip you tip...

Quick Reply: Question - WHY Tiptronic Over 6 Speed Man ?