Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Question - WHY Tiptronic Over 6 Speed Man ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Keyvan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you live on flat land then yes even in traffic Manual is better...but unless you live in an area with tons of ups and downs and heavy traffic then manual can get very stressful. I have to go up this one steep road to get home which is 1/4 of a mile and it takes 30 minutes cause of bumper to bumper traffic. So unless you have to do that 2 or 3 times a day don't say that tip sucks. Plus i've driven both and after 1st gear the acceleration is pretty much the same. I have driven both. 1st gear has more kick in manual but you'll get over it.

It's just that whole thing, if you don't suffer as much as us then your not in.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:52 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

Tip or Manual, doesn't matter...it's still a Porsche! We're all happy!
Old 10-05-2004, 12:00 PM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

Exactly....its sort of like arguing over what is the best color to paint your plane (which I have witnessed)....we're all lucky.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:27 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

I have one of each, love them both. I use my 996 as a LD commuter, and appreciate the tip for that reason. Plus the tip provides some unique and interesting driving dynamics that I really enjoy. It is WAY more than simply an automatic transmission.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:36 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

manual=fun
automatic=no fun

There are few exceptions like heavy traffic/bad knees, ankles, legs, back, etc.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:10 PM
RobynC
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by houldsworth1
For me the performance difference (+ or -) between the two types is somewhat irrelevant. I drive a stick because driving is (for me) a tactile experience. Managing to execute a smooth downshift leading up to a bend is a thing of beauty. Having an automatic takes something away from that.
Very well put.

I'd still take either...but prefer my 6speed.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:51 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Originally Posted by Keyvan
If you live on flat land then yes even in traffic Manual is better...but unless you live in an area with tons of ups and downs and heavy traffic then manual can get very stressful. I have to go up this one steep road to get home which is 1/4 of a mile and it takes 30 minutes cause of bumper to bumper traffic. So unless you have to do that 2 or 3 times a day don't say that tip sucks. Plus i've driven both and after 1st gear the acceleration is pretty much the same. I have driven both. 1st gear has more kick in manual but you'll get over it.

It's just that whole thing, if you don't suffer as much as us then your not in.
I don't think I have heard anyone say that the TIPs suck. If you gave me one I certainly would not turn it down - it is still a great car. It all comes down to what you want it for. If you commute in heavy traffic with a lot of hills etc. and find it tiresome then I can understand the selection (I assume that you know how to use the handbrake to avoid having to jump on the clutch).

However, since you live in London the answer to your daily 30 minute up-hill slog is easy - but yourself a motorcycle! There really is no faster way around London and your 30 minute climb would probably be over with in about a minute.

Barry
Old 10-05-2004, 05:43 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

My complaint with the Tip is that it is missing a gear! You seldom use first and when you're tracking with other 996s, the 6 speeds can gently pull away from you. The slight change in gear ratio for a speed and probably some RWHP loss from the auto make the difference. Although small it will show up by the end of a lap. Maybe David Murray or Randy Pobst could still dominate, but I am not good enough. Besides its just a DE and I not really racing!

I have, however, never missed a shift, nor overrevved from picking the wrong gear. When I drive on the street I drive in both auto and shift modes. It's comfortable and enjoyable.

Would I get another? Depends on which model I get. Maybe 55/45 for, on a TT, and 45/55 on a straight C2. The TT has the extra power that I wouldn't lose on the Tip.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:51 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i happen to have an M3 with SMG2 in addition to an 03 boxster S 6speed

the M3 is a hugely comptetant and fun car to drive daily, as is the boxster, but there is nothing like getting supermooth F1 style downshifts with the m3, every time, and then when you hit traffic, slap it in automatic mode and its just like an auto , without the power leeching torque converter

once F1 style trannys like SMG2 get smooth enough , they should eventually replace the torque converter entirely, 5-10 years down the line.

that said, when i was speccing my 2005 Turbo S Cabriolet.... it wasn't an issue at all, 6 speed. that should tell you something
Old 10-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Lapis911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DonW-Cape Cod
One Porsche, wife driver = Tip, unless you get her one for herself!
very well put. This is why I decided to get a tip
Old 10-05-2004, 09:08 PM
JLJ

so what im hearing is tiptronic is for the ladies and their femine husbands!!
P.S.race cars dont come automatic, GT3 cup cars dont come automatic.
another example of the feminising of north America like Bill maher would say
Old 10-05-2004, 09:19 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

All I know is that my wife, teenage son and teenage daughter have no problem with the 6 speed. Possibly some people just can't get the knack of the shifting with a clutch. For them the Tip is best. I drive in heavy traffic all day, up and down hills, stop and go, etc and I don't even notice I am shifting. As far as wear on the clutch...2 teenage drivers and still going stong 40,000 later. I just can't see giving up performance by going the way of the Tip. But if you just can't drive a stick properly, you're better off with the automatic.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:21 PM
JLJ

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
All I know is that my wife, teenage son and teenage daughter have no problem with the 6 speed. Possibly some people just can't get the knack of the shifting with a clutch. For them the Tip is best. I drive in heavy traffic all day, up and down hills, stop and go, etc and I don't even notice I am shifting. As far as wear on the clutch...2 teenage drivers and still going stong 40,000 later. I just can't see giving up performance by going the way of the Tip. But if you just can't drive a stick properly, you're better off with the automatic.

That's my 2 cents.
well said..all the ladies in the house say owwwwwwww...say ow ow...
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I showed my wife your little note and she suggested you stop by whenever you're in the area. There's a nice winding road near us that she will challenge you on.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:25 PM
JLJ

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911

I showed my wife your little note and she suggested you stop by whenever you're in the area. There's a nice winding road near us that she will challenge you on.
she sounds nice..lets see some pics!!

Quick Reply: Question - WHY Tiptronic Over 6 Speed Man ?