Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

got a 100+ mph speeding ticket. now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tony Diaz:

I accidently deleted your email. Please call me or email me again and I will respond more carefully this time.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:03 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

postmortem: had my day in court. got two points, forty hours community service and a $387 fine. the judge didn't want to hear what i had to say. the officer was stammering half the time and made a poor case (imo). he paced me off his speedo and the judge bought it. i'm over it...
Old 02-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

did you have a "good" attorney and did it make a difference?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:10 PM
nicoff
Racer

fahren wrote:
"the judge didn't want to hear what i had to say. "

Do you mean that you actually showed up to court to contend a 100mph ticket without an attorney
Old 02-03-2005, 09:49 PM
vyper340
Pro

40 hours of community service... that sucks! It'll take a LONG time to get that done but I guess the judge figured that it would prevent you from driving fast at least on weekends when you'll be doing community service. BTW, sorry to hear about your run in with the fuzz.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Thank you, Nicoff.

I am of the belief that certain judges will beat you up if they can. I know one who is an ex-cop. What a &#$@%*!@#! hole !! Particularly in California where (most)citations are reduced to infractions, and thus no jury trial is allowed and no court recorder is taking notes. It comes down to "he said, she said..." and guess who is believed?! Abuses of the laws are common even with the statutes in your hand and cited for refreshing the judge's memory. I have had judges when applicable penal code sections are cited claim that those sections don't apply in traffic court. Then the voice goes off in my head: "Appeal, appeal, appeal and he's dead." "Who are you?" is the attitude in those courtrooms. As one attorney put it to me yesterday, they will F*** with you, but they won't F*** with me !!
And they won't.

And, a good attorney will lay the groundwork for an appeal and set traps from which the court cannot escape. Winning on appeal is more powerful and a blemish on the "judge's" record. I place it in parenthesis because they are in fact "commissioners" and pro tems who want a good kill record. Of course you may set the same traps, but you have a better chance of settling it right there and not needing the traps if an attorney does it.

So the bottom line in some cases is this: pay the money to the insurance companies (BAD ) and the court (worse), or pay an attorney, or familiarize yourself with the laws. But be careful, the process will sicken and anger you beyond your beliefs. You think you are a normal mature cynic now? Give that naive belief up, because it is worse than you can imagine around here.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:25 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all about the best attorney you can find.. when i lived in northern california i had a supra twin turbo that got me in trouble more than a few times... my attorney just happened to be good friends with the DA... we had an agreement, that for every violation, I paid $1,500 and it never happened, for every misdm. violation, $2500 and it never happened.. (aka dropped) of course this eventually led to my wreckless crashing of the vehicle with someone i really cared about... luckily we walked away.. the car was a loss though... due to getting away with everything... and being able to, i drove around quite wrecklessly....

sometimes speed limits are good and punishment is good, keeps your mind realistic to the fact that you can't buy yourself out of death or the guilt of doing the same to the people driving with you or next to you on the road...
Old 02-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

I am not of the opinion that we need authority figures lurking over our heads with whips and sticks to keep us responsible. I outgrew that many years ago. And I am not convinced that their definition of responsibility and safety is synonymous with the truth.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:00 AM
Biernut
Track Day

40 hours of community service isn't too bad, I've been there, 5 days of work. They also give you 3 months to complete those 5 days in, which is fairly easy to accomplish, even with a hectic schedule. I have also seen the benefit of having a good attorney, and will never go to court without one. A good attorney is someone who knows the DA/Commisioners. It comes down to who they know, not what they know. Using a "good" attorney, I was able to bring a driving on suspended license/expired registration/speed in excess of 100MPH/reckless driving charge down to a minor infraction with a $900 fine and 40 hours community service. ; )
Old 02-04-2005, 03:01 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

That's why we have an appeal process to place that emotion in check.
Sometimes I catch myself being thankful for being in this country and having the layers of protection that we do, even when it seems they are not practically available to many of us.

Yea USA !!!
Old 02-04-2005, 03:07 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

A good attorney? Try this attorney:

http://www.traffic-ticket-attorney.com/

Check out his kill list.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:13 AM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

I had experinced a problem like this in the past - 121 mph in a 55 at 5 AM going to the airport (Newark NJ) - I hired a local circut atty and got off with a $280.00 Fine and 2 Points. Good Luck, It's really all about how you know in that space.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:53 AM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Your speedometer was inaccurate. Get a repair order that says it was inaccurate and fixed and by the time this is done with the car should be gone anyway. Your lawyer should be able to off.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:38 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I was wondering if the round number 100mph is what gets them excited. In Canada, do they use km/h? In countries that they do, do they get excited at 200km/h, allowing you to go 120mph before they throw the book at you?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Canada (or at least Toronto) you normally don't get stopped unless you're going at least 120 km/h (on a highway with a speed limit of 100 km/h).

Exceeding the speed limit by 16 to 29 km/h - 3 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 30 to 49 km/h - 4 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 50 km/h or more - 6 points

If you get six demerit points, you will be sent a warning letter. At nine points, you may have to go to an interview to discuss your record and give reasons why your licence should not be suspended. At 15 or more points, your licence will be suspended for 30 days from the date you surrender it to the Ministry of Transportation for the first suspension.

Quick Reply: got a 100+ mph speeding ticket. now what?