Sponsored by:

Past Military Helps in Today Speeding Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 01:10 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Past Military Helps in Today Speeding Tickets

Amigo's, I just wanted to share something with those of you who have a past miltary life - I am a US Army RANGER 75th btn, 82 Airborne - I have a sticker in my rear window with a couple of caps, etc. Whenever I get pulled over (which isn't much) the cops generally give me a break, they ask about my experince as a RANGER and then advise me to slow down. I had a couple of times with my wife, when the officer didn't ask me for my documentation, just some questions about Ranger school and off I went. So the bottom line is, if you have a past life in today Terror alert, display it, It can only do good/
Old 09-21-2004, 01:29 PM
dont h8me
Instructor

thanks for serving our country

I wonder if I would get the same response if I put my cub scout badges in the window. Especially the "Good listener" badge?
Old 09-21-2004, 02:03 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I wonder if I'll get the same respect as a Cavalry veteran? I'm going to put my 3D ACR sticker on my SC today!
Old 09-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

My guess is you are prolly a pretty good guy with a reasonable attitude........That helps too. I have several close friends who are cops. There is nothing they hate more than an ******* with an attitude, no matter what his occupation might be......

BTW, Thanks for serving man........
Old 09-21-2004, 04:10 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Originally Posted by Gretch
My guess is you are prolly a pretty good guy with a reasonable attitude........That helps too. I have several close friends who are cops. There is nothing they hate more than an ******* with an attitude, no matter what his occupation might be......
If I get pulled over I get a ticket - no exceptions to date. Doesn't matter if it is the car or the motorcycle.

I am never a jerk, always as nice as pie. I put it down to the British accent - as soon as American cops hear that they think I am so kind of snob (when in fact I grew up in East London which is about as far from snobbery as you can get!)

Any ideas on how I get around that? Can I put a cap in the back that says "Nice guy inside...REALLY!"

Later...

Barry
Old 09-21-2004, 05:14 PM
lexpilot
Racer

You may be on to something, Barry. A "Nice guy inside ...REALLY" window sticker may help. Some folks just plain think Porsche drivers are jerks.
Example: On Sunday I pulled into a (out of town) cardlock gas station and tried to use 3 pumps before I found one that worked. A redneck watched me do this. As I tried the 4th pump I said to this fellow "So, these pumps aren't working ?" He just climbed into his pickup with a disgruntled look. It reminded me that some folks just plain don't like us.
On the other hand I get "thumbs up" frequently, too.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:25 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

I live in a very outter suburban area, most of the people I run into LOVE the Targa, Thus far I can't remember gets a jerky look, but theres always a first.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:33 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so.....do you think a ranger sticker would have gotten THIS guy some help???

WABASHA, Minn. -- With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a Stillwater motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

``I was in total disbelief,'' Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for today's editions. ``I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast.''

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license - and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press today.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

``I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour,'' Swanson said. ``But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure.''

---

Information from: St. Paul Pioneer Press, http:// www.twincities.com
Old 09-21-2004, 08:35 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Yea, most likely NOT !
Old 09-21-2004, 11:47 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

I have to say that I think the trooper was probably a little quick with the stop button.

While many motorcycles can travel at very high speeds they are not generally very aerodynamic and at those sort of speeds these things make a big difference. 175 - highly probable, 185 possible but over 200 is very unlikely. I have a friend who has set records on motorcycles at Bonneville and he tells me that the kind of power and aero changes needed to get over 200 is substantial.

I would be willing to bet that this guy would get off if he had a smart lawer because they should be able to prove that his bike will simply not do that sort of speed.

Barry
Old 09-22-2004, 04:44 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

houldsworth1 - Where are you located in NW NJ - I am in Randolph, Next To Morristown.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

Hey - I have friends in Randolph !!!

Could be there with the family for New Year - (not sure yet)

Adrian
Old 09-22-2004, 08:58 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Look me up amigo - 63 Ridge Rd - Randolph.... Welcome....
Old 09-22-2004, 11:58 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Originally Posted by RJMDAD996
houldsworth1 - Where are you located in NW NJ - I am in Randolph, Next To Morristown.
I'm in Wyckoff - next to Franklin Lakes. Probably about 25 miles NE of you as the crow flies (do you have that saying around here?)

Old 09-23-2004, 04:33 AM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

Our friends live in 'Tammy Hill Trail' (I think thats right ??)

I was there with the family for new year 2003 - We had 5 days in NYC then a week in NJ - just as we got there the snow started to fall, our friends said it more or less didn't stop until April !!

It was a fun time because our friends (Australians who have moved around the planet with business and who had spent the previous three years here in Kent) had never seen proper snow before !

Loads of sledging etc.

You guys get FANTASTIC houses for the money you know - compared to Kent anyway !

Anyway we have been invited back this new year. - (I cant have been that badly behaved after all...) - Not sure about our movements yet but if we go I'll let you know. - We could meet up at one of your diners !!!

cheers

Adrian

Quick Reply: Past Military Helps in Today Speeding Tickets