Sponsored by:

Help Needed with 996 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 01:46 PM
AlexL.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed with 996 Purchase

I am looking to purchase a 996 and recently drove a '99 that was the color combo I want and had some nice additions but I am a bit nervous about a few issues.
First off, the owner is the second owner and he bought the car with 12k miles a year and a half ago. It now has 25k+ miles on it but he drives the car HARD. He was telling me stories of going 150mph+ on the highway and he does it often. Also, he drove the car with me in it very spirited to say the least. My concern would be the clutch and engine obviously or is it good to open these flat sixes? He does not have any service records for the car.
The car was not washed when he showed me and in fact was quite dirty, bird crap,etc. so that didn't impress me at all.
The car did drive very very good however and the paint looked fine other than being dirty.
My thought is to get a PPI and if it checks out w/out issues then it may be a good buy. He is asking $40k but I was thinking of offering $39k. Am I crazy for continuing this quest for this car or should I move on? Thanks..............
Old 09-20-2004, 02:24 PM
dont h8me
Instructor

no service records means no buyee to me
it took me 6 months and 3 cars to find the right one that checked out
these cars are made to be driven hard but also serviced regualry.
Call me cautious but I can tell a lot about how a person treats the inside of the car by how they treat the outside. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt, no service records is not swell.
In addition to the PPI, I would have an independant shop look at it. Cost me about $150 but well worth it. Call it getting a second opinion. CAll your local PCA chapter for referrals to good shops.
I have only had my Pcar6 months but I love it.
Feel free to pm if you have anymore questions
Old 09-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Mani
Track Day

Alex, it is my opinion that you may be able to negotiate down a bit more. I agree with Dont h8ome, get it checked out for sure. however, a MY99 with less thank 25k miles, thats pretty cool.

if he keeps the car dirty and has no service records, it is a bit sketchy, but this should also give you a little more leverage in negotiations. With the 997s out, the price of 996s are dropping.

let us know how it all pans out...
Old 09-20-2004, 02:59 PM
TurboMark
Pro

move on
Old 09-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

IMO the fact that he has no records is a big no no, it doesn't help to see bird-crap on a car for sale either, i'd look for another. But, these cars have to be driven, 150mph is nothing, HARD on a regular car is walk in the park for a porsche, i'd actually be worried of a gargae queen than a car well driven, but this one has different issues.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Jan_M
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your questions seems to imply that you are not sure about this. If your gut feeling tells you not too. Simple. Move on. Enough cars out there. You will regret it every day if you don't listen and something goes wrong with the car. Chances are it won't but are you prepared to bare it. I would not.

Good luck in your search.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:27 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Doesnt sound like he knows or cares much about his car. Theres plenty of other 996s out there with very good histories.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:58 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

A dirty car and driven hard (withing reasonable limits, especially with the downshifts) wouldn't bother me that much, just the lack of records of any type is why I would RUN FOREST...RUN..
Old 09-21-2004, 09:54 AM
AlexL.
Instructor

Thank you to all for your input. I think I am getting over the fever of the car and am going to head in another direction. I realize that service records are vital but I am finding that most cars outside of private sale do not have records which limits the universe substantially.
Also, I have a friend who can get me cars at auction. I've been thinking of going that route but they also dont have any service records. I saw a 2002 996 with 36k miles on EBAY last night asking $46900. That seems VERY reasonable for an '02 but its in Texas. Has anyone bought long range like that? Seems very risky to me even though its still has warranty. What do you guys think???
Old 09-21-2004, 10:00 AM
Jan_M
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

long range don't need to be risky if the car is checked properly. You just miss the "Fall in love" part. Cars on auction are bought as such (at least here) and if it prooves a lemon, you are stuck. You have to be pretty f*** sure of what you buy. My 2c.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:59 AM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't be afraid to buy long distance, particularly if it is from a reputable (Porsche) dealer. I'm in CA and bought mine from a dealer in RI, and then had it shipped across the country. Waiting was the hardest part. If it's not from a Porsche dealer, you can always make arrangements to have it taken to the dealer for a PPI.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Long distance should not be a problem, but if I were you i'll definitely fly down there if everything checks-out, prior to signing on the dotted lines. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Help Needed with 996 Purchase