Rennlist Member

Default German Autofest 2004 Pictures

Here we go....

And of course...MORE PICTURES HERE!
Old 09-14-2004 | 03:36 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Great pics, Kirby - thanks! Sorry we didn't hook up - the SoCal rennlist group arrived together (see thread on 993 forum) but then sort of dispersed - next time we should organize something at the show to get everyone together. Still hope to meet you soon.
Old 09-14-2004 | 05:02 AM
Super D
Instructor

Hey Kirb,

Nice meeting you guys on Sat. I was the one looking at your SC'd car engine the the TTs and asking if anyone's seen the limit of these on track durability-wise yet. I liked the cars, you guys really put some effort into them and it shows. Would like to hook up with you on a trackday so I can get a ride!

Hey, nice pics too! You even got one of my car (pg. 3 of your gallery--top row, white 993). It's a Turbo S bodied C2S. Not very fast....yet.

Anyway, thanks for posting so many great shots and for making a good showing of newly upgraded cars.

Btw, did you guys see what happened with the truck full of Porsches that got nailed by the train right outside the venue? I got a call this morning telling that there was a major wreck after the event. What do you know about that?

Regards,
Dave
Old 09-14-2004 | 09:25 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Great pics Kirby! Or should I say "Great 'before' pics." Unfortunately, a few of the cars in the GAF did not make it home.

.:programmatore:.

VENTURA, Calif. -- A car-carrier loaded with vintage Porsches was struck by a freight train Sunday after becoming stranded on railroad tracks, officials said.

The accident occurred about 3:45 p.m. near the Ventura County Fairgrounds, said Lt. David Wilson of the Ventura Police Department, who was at the scene.

The car-carrier was "high-centered" on the railroad tracks and the driver was trying to maneuver it off the tracks when Wilson arrived.

Wilson said he called to have train traffic stopped, but a northbound freight train came barreling down the track only moments later.

"We were able to get the driver out of the cab, luckily," Wilson said.

The driver suffered minor injuries while fleeing from the impact, Wilson said.

The vintage Porsches "are close to totaled, if not totaled," Wilson said.

"The train center-punched the trailer carrying the cars and split the trailer in half, and the cars went flying," he said.

The front engine of the freight train came off the tracks and Union Pacific crews were called to the scene to get it operating again, Wilson said.
Old 09-14-2004 | 09:29 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Here are some of the 'after' pics (courtesy of Pelican Parts and another board). It is so sad to see so many Porsches damaged like this.

.:programmatore:.

Old 09-14-2004 | 10:52 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Great pics, Kirby - thanks! Sorry we didn't hook up - the SoCal rennlist group arrived together (see thread on 993 forum) but then sort of dispersed - next time we should organize something at the show to get everyone together. Still hope to meet you soon.
Jim, I think I saw you guys arrive on Sunday. You guys parked around the back right?

Bummer we didn't get to hook up. Next time!
Old 09-14-2004 | 02:29 PM
RexracerX
Instructor

Kirby -

Thank for posting the pics. Sorry I didn't stop and say hi, too many cars so little time.

FYI - Life in the Fast Lane with Steve Natt (DTV ch 232) is doing a feature on the German Autofest 2004 later this month. Tune in and see me be a dork on TV (at least my car was cool )
Old 09-15-2004 | 12:51 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Kirb - yeh, we parked on the side of the exhibit hall and some of us around back including me. Next time let's all plan ahead to get together.
Old 09-16-2004 | 04:32 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Default Over 100 Photos of the Fest

If you'd like clip here to see all the photos:

German Autofest

Page 3 should have over 20 photos of the train/356 wreck shots. . .

photoshttp://www.pelicanparts.com/swapmeet_pics/German_AutoFest_04/page1.htm

-Eli

Quick Reply: German Autofest 2004 Pictures