details of when and why Porsche NA had to up the manufacturers warranty
on PNA sold cars from 2 years to 4?

TIA
Old 09-13-2004, 11:17 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because except for VW, Porsche had the worst warranty of any car mgfr in N.A.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am certain you are right! But I need official information on this.
I recall reading in a thread somewhere an official statement on this but I can't find it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you mean? Porsche just changed from 2 years to 4 years. What kind of documents are you looking for?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Hi Viken,
I have been asked by my solicitor to provide formal documentation describing
the legislation and reasoning why PNA were required to move from 2 to 4 year warranty
and the dates that this scheme came into place in the US.

As you probably know, in the UK and AFAIK the RoW we only get 2 years warranty.
We need to know why that is the case and why the same warranty system does not
apply in the RoW. There is reason to beleive that the PNA may have some special
agreement with PAG that might contravene European law in this regard.

Cheers,
Old 09-13-2004, 12:31 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

AFAIK, it was a voluntary change. The Federal government doesn't mandate automobile companies on warranty issues.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:42 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

I am certain it wasn't voluntary. I recall reading that it came about because of
some case involving a Boxster issue and it resulted in some Federal legislation that forced
PNA to move to 4yrs warranty. Damn! I wish I could remember where I read this.

If you think about it, they would have to be pretty dumb to go give another 2 years warranty out
to everyone (new cars). They must have been enforced to do this.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

The market forced them to do this. It's called supply and demand. Other manufactureres supplied it as the norm and buyers demanded it. Simple as that. Porsche did it to stay competitive. The only laws here on warranties that I'm aware of are for emission controls.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Scouser
I am certain it wasn't voluntary. I recall reading that it came about because of some case involving a Boxster issue and it resulted in some Federal legislation that forced PNA to move to 4yrs warranty. Damn! I wish I could remember where I read this.
This is why I don't like the Internet too much. It is full of misinformation which gets spread with the speed of light. The 4-year/50k miles warranty in the US started with the first 1997 Boxster. Way before the first Boxster problem was discovered. No Federal litigation or legislation was involved.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Holger B
The market forced them to do this. It's called supply and demand. Other manufactureres supplied it as the norm and buyers demanded it. Simple as that. Porsche did it to stay competitive. The only laws here on warranties that I'm aware of are for emission controls.
Absolutely true!
Old 09-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Viken, before flaming me on this, all I asked for was information. I haven't spread any misinformation. I have read a page on the net somewhere that documented something to this effect and I don't know where, but I am not saying I know the answers. If I did I wouldn't ask would I, that's why I am asking for imformation about it. You have given me what you know. Fair do. Thanks for that but chill out. You of all people on here shouldn't be blowing this up for no reason. Geezus H!
Old 09-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Scouser
Viken, before flaming me on this, all I asked for was information. I haven't spread any misinformation. I have read a page on the net somewhere that documented something to this effect and I don't know where, but I am not saying I know the answers. If I did I wouldn't ask would I, that's why I am asking for imformation about it. You have given me what you know. Fair do. Thanks for that but chill out. You of all people on here shouldn't be blowing this up for no reason. Geezus H!
Where do you see that I flamed you? All I said was that there was a lot of misinformation on the Internet. I never said you started or spread it. Calm down, catch a deep breath and grab a shot of Bruichladdich.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started Boxstering in 1999 when the 4 year warranty started. 1997 and 1998 Boxsters had a 2 year warranty. When I bought my 1997 Boxster in 1999 the 2 year factory warranty was over.

I do not remember any official reason. I also think the US market forced them to go with 4 years. Plus back then there were reported problems with the Boxster engines and tops.

When the 996 came to the US market as a model year 1999 it too had a 4 year warranty.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I started Boxstering in 1999 when the 4 year warranty started. 1997 and 1998 Boxsters had a 2 year warranty. When I bought my 1997 Boxster in 1999 the 2 year factory warranty was over.

I do not remember any official reason. I also think the US market forced them to go with 4 years. Plus back then there were reported problems with the Boxster engines and tops.

When the 996 came to the US market as a model year 1999 it too had a 4 year warranty.
I am sorry. I guess I was misinformed on this issue.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worthless Boxster trivia. But since the additional 5 year aftermarket warranty that the original owner purschased could not be transferred to me and the factory 2 year warranty was over when I bought the car, I have been on my own since 1999. Some 1997 and 1998 Boxster owners back then tried to get Porsche to give them an additional 2 years. Right.

More trivia. Back then it took almost a year to get a Boxster after you ordered it. People who ordered a car did not know exactly what model year the car would be designated. People that ordered a car and if it was made as a 1998 were not happy because they wanted a 1999 due to the longer warranty. Porsche offered them a $3,000 discount if they accepted the 1998. If they wanted a 1999 then they got a $3,000 credit towards a 1999, but they had to go to the end of the line and wait another year for their car to be built.

More trivial. I have a German Boxster friend and this is what he told me about Germany. By law a 6 month warranty has to be offered. Most companies made it a 1 year warranty and so did Porsche. When the Japanese cars came to Germany then Porsche made it 3 years. Once Germany joined the EU it went to 2 years.

This shows how the market can force a company to compete.

Quick Reply: Requesting info on federal legislation Porsche 4 yr warranty