Sponsored by:

Magic Wax (Mario) SUCKS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 03:08 AM
Craig.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magic Wax (Mario) SUCKS!!!

After getting several recommendations, I hired Magic Wax – a well known detailer in Southern California – to detail my car. Magic Wax is run by a guy named Mario.

I spoke with Mario on Tuesday and he agreed to detail my car on Thursday. However, the weather forecast included the possibility of rain. Mario promised that, if it rained after he detailed my car, he would wax my car again after the rain ceased, before the weekend.

Thursday morning, the sky was full of clouds and I was reluctant to proceed. Mario repeated his promise that, if it rained on my car after the detail, he would wax it again before the weekend. Therefore, I allowed him to proceed. Interestingly, he detailed my car at CEC.

In order to justify the $225 fee, Mario told me that he would need over three hours to detail my car. Yet, Mario miraculously finished in under two hours.

Mario’s detail was adequate, but far from commensurate with the $225 fee. He delivered the car to me with wax build up in several areas, smudges, and various other minor flaws, some of which were fixed on the spot.

Shortly after Mario left, I discovered that he had: (1) broken both plastic pieces that covers the screws that affix the visors to the roof, and (2) broken my $300 sunglasses by cramming them in the center counsel – the frame is bent so severely that it doesn’t fit on my head. Additionally, the rain came as predicted and doused my car.

I promptly called Mario (on Thursday). I should mention here that Mario NEVER answers his cell phone. Rather, he lets all calls go to voicemail and calls back only those select few that he wants to speak with. Prior to collecting my $225, Mario was very responsive and promptly returned all my calls. That ceased after he had my money. Mario returned my first call after finishing my car – that was the last call he returned. I told Mario about the damage to my car and sunglasses, and the rain, and Mario promised to fix my car and sunglasses, and wax my car again, the next day (Friday). We set an appointment for 12:00 pm.

I called Mario Friday morning at 11:30 pm to confirm our 12:00 pm appointment. Mario didn’t return my call. 12:00 pm came and went without any word from Mario. I left 2-3 additional messages for Mario that afternoon, without response from Mario. I was steaming.

Saturday morning, I left another message for Mario, and he again declined to call me back. Then, I had my wife call him and leave a message feigning interest in hiring him, and leaving her cell phone number. Mario called my wife back within minutes. She handed the phone to me, and Mario gave me a BS line about being out of cell phone range at German Auto Fest in Ventura and unable to call me back. Of note, I was able to speak with several people by cell phone at German Auto Fest, without any diminished signal. Nevertheless, I made nice and Mario promised to wax AND fix my car, and deal with my broken sunglasses, that afternoon, between 1:00-2:00 pm. Not surprisingly, 2:00 pm came and went without word from Mario. I left a couple of messages, but Mario maintained radio silence. Thus, I was left with no alternative but to rush out Saturday late afternoon and find someone to do what I had paid Mario to do.

Now I have to go about fixing my car, and fixing my sunglasses or buying new ones. Needless to say, I will never call Mario of Magic Wax ever again. Caveat emptor.

Craig
Old 09-13-2004, 03:35 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Craig,
wow, what a bummer!
How did you hear about Mario?
Old 09-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Brian Lopez
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say we hunt him down and kill him
Old 09-13-2004, 12:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

For some reason and it's kinda bad but I don't like to deal with people named "Mario" or "Guido". I like "Joe" though-good name for someone in the auto scene. But what a bummer it is. Hopefully someone on this board can recommend someone where you are. Regards and good luck. Mike
Old 09-13-2004, 12:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

small claims court? What are we talking about here maybe $1K total cost and damages? Might be a good idea to let him know that he can't just get away with it.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:17 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

That sucks. But nothing you can do now but take it as a lesson unless you want to take him to court for a few hundred bucks.

Reasons like that, I will never let anyone touch my car/properties. I've taken my last 964 to a well known shop around the area to get it detailed and when I stopped by, I saw that the detailer had a coffee mug sitting on top of my car. Needless to say I was pissed off and picked up my car on the spot before he could do more damage. I've had a couple of bad experiences in the past and Ive learned that nobody will take care of your car like the way you would. Next time just take the time and do it yourself so you can have a peace of mind.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Craig.
After getting several recommendations, I hired Magic Wax – a well known detailer in Southern California – to detail my car. Magic Wax is run by a guy named Mario.
Craig, post his phone number here and let's get everyone to bombard him with messages and setup false appointments.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:14 AM
Craig.
Racer

I heard from Mario (Magic Wax) today. Thanks to Allen at SG, Albert at CEC, and Michael at ByD for their assistance.

Mario was VERY apologetic. He acknowledged his mistakes, including most importantly not communicating with me, and took responsibility for them. He promptly came to my office and inspected the damaged piece of plastic on my car. Thereafter, he contacted the dealer, ordered a new part, and promised to replace it as soon as possible. I had already taken the sunglasses in for repair and, while they are not perfect, they are good enough. Mario has promised to detail my car twice at no cost.

I appreciate Mario stepping forward and taking responsibility for his actions. He owned up, apologized, commenced remedial action, and offered compensation in the form of two free details. Assuming he follows through, the dispute is resolved.

Craig
Old 09-14-2004, 04:32 AM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

Maybe he views this website !
Old 09-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Lomcevak
Instructor

Especially the post about bombarding him with false appointments!
Old 09-14-2004, 06:25 PM
TurboMark
Pro

OK, now that Mario doesnt suck anymore, lets extend him a courtesy and remove the SUCKS from the original title ....
Old 09-14-2004, 11:08 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"SUCKED" (??)
Old 09-14-2004, 11:22 PM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

I think he still sucks - though maybe less than before. After he fixes your car and gives you the 2 free details, then we can take sucks off...
Old 09-14-2004, 11:24 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"SUCKS SOMEWHAT LESS" ??
Old 09-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

Potentially doesn't suck. Or potentially has stopped sucking...

Quick Reply: Magic Wax (Mario) SUCKS!!!