Sponsored by:

Check engine light/ hesitation in 2nd & 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 10:47 AM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light/ hesitation in 2nd & 3rd

Last week the check engine light came on and I was worried so I stop driving the car until I can get it checked out. After a week of research and not driving the car, I found that the check engine light could mean a faulty DME or 02 censor so I decided to drive the car today since the weather is superd. Also, the manual says that the check engine light is "no biggie" unless it starts flashing. As I drove I noticed that in 2nd and 3rd gear under 3,000RPM the car would hesitate and studder when I would mash the gas but it would be fine after that mark. After about 45 minutes of driving the problem went away, what the hell is going on with my 996? Now Im at work trying to figure out what could cause the hesitation in acceleration and keeping my fingers crossed that when I get out it wouldn't show up again. Anybody ever experienced this with their 996? I just bought this car and this is quite discouraging to a new owner.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:48 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

MAF(mass airflow) sensor could be going out of wack or o2 sensor(s). Seems like MAF is pretty sensitive to ne form of contamination and affect drivablity though it's still drivable. Have dealer check fault codes or if you got a OBD 2 reader that work too. Regards. Mike
Old 09-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Used to happen to me all the time on my '99. If it didn't affect the driving, I'd ignore it.

First thing to always do (don't laugh, this is true) is remove the gas cap and put it back on (with the car not running, of course). My CE would sometimes come on after filling the tank and this would usually take car of it. They actually had a recall/TSB to replace the cap.

If you notice it driving funny, Mike is probably right that it's the MAF or an O2 sensor. If you use a K&N filter, the oil eventually gets on the MAF and it needs to be replaced. I always used a paper filter and my MAF failed at 30k miles.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Arthur
Pro

Oil in crankcase is not too full, is it?
Old 09-10-2004, 06:40 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

The oil is not too full. I recapped the gas cap so I guess its the MAF or 02 censor. Thanks all.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Mitty
Racer

How is it at idle? Does it miss?
Old 09-10-2004, 09:52 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Vove, where in Virginia are you? If you're in NoVA I would recommend you take your car to InterSport in Tysons Corner. They're pretty good. You should at least get the fault codes read to see if the problem is serious.

I had problems with my CEL coming on. The codes read secondary fault (just emissions related) and the car drove fine so I just reset the computer but after a week or so the light came back. I brought the car in to the dealer several times and they couldn't find the problem -- first they said it was a bad hose, then a vacuum leak, and one time they simply reset the computer (well, I didn't need to pay them $100 to do that!) -- and the CEL kept coming on.

Anyway, a few hundred dollars later I had enough of the dealer and took my car to InterSport. 2 days later they found the problem and fixed it. What was wrong with the car? Well, InterSport found a vacuum cylinder that was "repaired", badly, with silicone glue! Cost of replacement part: $20. Now I am not saying the dealer "repaired" the $20 part instead of replacing it but I have never taken my car anywhere else for service before I took it to InterSport. Hmmm. I could try and get the repair reimbursed by the dealer but it is not worth it (plus, it would be hard to prove). All I know is that the dealer just lost another customer. Take it from me, check InterSport out.

Good luck!

.:programmatore:.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Tim have you an OBDII tool? They are very inexpensive to have and well worth it so you can save yourself a trip to the shop (or know what's up before going in). If you do or know somebody that does, get it read, post the code and I (or anybody else on the board) can tell you what the code is.

Or just head over to InterSport. I just moved from McLean to LV and heard good things about those guys.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:49 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

I've been driving the car and it seems to behave fine and the studdering went away. 2nd and 3rd gear is as it should be, smooth acceleration from all range(RPM).

The car idles perfectly.

Ive heard of Intersport and been there a few times with some Porsche friends of mine. Charlie seems to know his stuff pretty well with the 3.6L when I used to stop by there with my 964. Seems like around here they have a pretty good rep. Im going to take my car there after this weekend and see what the codes reveal. I'll let you guys know once I get the car diagnose. Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: Check engine light/ hesitation in 2nd & 3rd