996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Celebrating my 5th RMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 03:51 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scouser, if your car was under warranty for the 1st RMS replacement, WHY would did you pay for it ?
Old 09-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Becuase the first RMS wasn't under warranty, otherwise he wouldn't have to pay for it. What I read in his post is that what was under warranty were the following RMS', under the post-repair warranty.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Oh hello there RR, been waiting for you to turn up.

For those of you that don't know it, RR likes to boycot my postings and his method is usually to try to
drag them down. (note he still hasn't registered). I don't think he actually owns a Porker but he
likes to puvey that he does. I told him last time in a previous posting that I would just ignore any further more posts from him. So before you go any further RR here's a free
ticket outa here...

Old 09-11-2004, 12:27 AM
mim3
Instructor

Bernie, Look at the positive side, you get an oil change every 3000-4000km

You know in the States when you have your oil changed you get a nice little sticker for your windshield to remind you of your next oil change.

Maybe you should ask them for one of those so you know when to come back for a new seal.

Sorry to hear about the trouble.
Mike
Old 09-11-2004, 04:18 AM
munro86
Racer

Why do discussions always get unpleasant when contrary opinions appear? We are in a democratic forum fellas, not North Korea. Instead of whacking away every divergent view you might try listening and then we all might learn something.Oh, and what I meant by "brutally" redlining was this:
I was standing outside a friends engineering workshop when a blue 996 Cab passed his entrance at absolutely peak revs( the road was only about 500 metres long-sorry metric in Australia) I said:"Man he's flying" Friend: " He does that everyday". At then to my astonishment he came back again at the same breakneck speed, and then pulled up quickly as the end of the road was rapidly approaching!! This is the sort of "brutal" driving I'm talking about. Quite different from clean acceleration and gear changes at the appropriate places-not up and down a short back street. My point is is that "redlining" under any conditions is not ok. If you watch the Carrera Cup cars (particularly the in-car footage) you are immediately impressed by the efficient and relaxed driving style-they are not ripping and tearing like the guy I saw-so my conclusion is is that any ol' redlining is not "ok" because its a "Porsche". From my viewpoint its just plain commonsense.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:01 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scouser
They have announced
incredible profits but they wont be injecting any of that profit back into its customer base.
So IMHO, the demise of Porsche as we know it is a reality.
"Demise" and "incredible profits" seem strange bedfellows to me.

Steve
99 996
76 930
64 356C
62 356B
Old 09-11-2004, 12:36 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

i can't believe some guys here talking about driving the car hard

Its a Porsche for gods sake - not a Hyundai or ford taurus - If I drop $50k on a car that retailed for $80k with the kind of sporting heritage that Porsche has then I expect it to be able to accelarate to 120 mph, redlining in every gear - my first car, an alfa romeo coped with this, my second car, a bmw 320 coped with it, my third car, a boxster coped with it - and now from reading this post apparently my 996 CAN'T?!

This RMS thing has me a bit worried admittedly, but as long as i properly maintain the vechicle I expect it to stand up to vigorous driving... if it doesn't then my affair with Porsche will end and I will buy the new BMW M4

For those of you worried about nailing the car because of past reliability issues - fair enough, for you who have a 300+BHP car to drive to blockbuster and worry about redlining the engine - I think the Arnie 'girleymen' comment from the recent GOP conference is appropriate

JMHO
Old 09-11-2004, 03:30 PM
BrianPA
Racer

Hey doesn't this apply to lemon law?
Old 09-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

No such thing in the UK.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:00 PM
BrianPA
Racer

Sorry about that didn't pay attention to the UK part when I asked...

What was there excuse for not covering your trans problems?

Does anyone know how the RMS is different on the GT3 engines such that it's never a problem?
Old 09-12-2004, 05:13 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

scouser, i am very sorry about your RMS AGAIN.... don't kwon how UK works, but in my 2002 996C4S i had a tiny leak, they measured the hole which the crankshaft exits and promptly replaced my engine without me asking. after that, it never leaked.

2004 996C2, i drove the **** out of that car. 4000 track miles, 16000 total miles in 6 month. i destroyed the catalytic converter, the inside shreded from heat (replace by warranty), the dealer knows i track, i have roll bar, GT3 fixed back seat, lap timer and 6 pt harness and my helmet in the car. the car never leaked.

if possible in UK, i would argue with the dealer until they are blue in the face or else i won't leave their shop.. this is not acceptable.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Brian PA, no probs re paying attention

They haven't given an excuse for not replacing the tranny. Basically the car is out of warranty
and legally they don't have to offer me anything. However they have offered me 50% of cost
in good-will. The thing is, I am not happy with this as the car had just over 4k miles on it after
its 24k service when they told me the gearbox had a whine in it. AFAIK the tranny should last
longer than 27k miles in these cars and therefore I am asking them to replace it FOC. But it
wont happen. I have hung on for over a year now and the tranny has got noisier but it never
misses a gear change. An independent thinks its just the pinion bearing but to be sure he would
have to down the gearbox. Then if he finds it's worse then I am up for a replacement. So I might
as well go for the new one from Porsche GB with 2 years warranty (BTW: I was stated this on the
phone. Even though my car is out of warranty, the replacement gearbox will have 2 years warranty).
It will cost me £3,300 all inclusive (taxes), inc fitting.

The GT2/3 & TT engines are entirely different. They use different blocks. Consequently they don't have this RMS problem (although there has been some reported but every marque has a few troubled RMS problems). The problem is only in the 996 C2/C4 and the 986.

Mooty: Believe me mate, I am doing all I can to argue with them. This RMS thing as we all know it is a manufacturing flaw or a design error. All of us are potential victims of the problem. I intend to fight them tooth and nail. Cheers for the sentiments.

Laurence 97 C4S: I wish I had the choice of going to a different dealer but I don't. The way it works
here in the UK is that you have to take it back to the dealer who did the service in order to get
the job done again without charge. If I go to another dealer, I will have to pay for the RMS and
the cycle will have to start all over again Besides, Porscge GB have said I must go back to my
dealer who did the repair since they have negotiated with the dealer ( a franchise) the cost.

The main issue I have right now is that with all these RMS's I am going thru it is a cert that the engine needs to be replaced. If my car was in the US then it would just about still be in warranty and there would be no questions asked. By the 5th RMS I feel certain PCNA would replace the engine. But here in the UK, Porsche GB won't do that. In fact they are likely to just keeo on replacing the seal after seal after seal. As far as I know, they have never replaced an engine because of RMS problems in the UK.....warranty or no warranty!
Old 09-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are just going to have to move to the US when you buy your next Porsche to get better treatment. I have been on the UK message boards for several years and the way Porsche deals with UK people is not like what most owners in the US face.

On RennTech I gave the recent example of my local 2000 Boxster friend Jean, and of course he has the 4 year warranty.

Jean had 3 seals replaced while in warranty. It continued to leak and a 4th seal was put in after the warranty EXPIRED. The 4th seal leaked. Porsche "goodwilled" a rebuilt motor which was put in in July. That motor failed after 800 miles. Porsche oked another rebuilt motor, which had the same problem. Porsche then oked a new motor. If Germany got the motor here on time then Jean should have it in his car by now.

This would never happen in the UK. And I can tell you one thing for sure. Eventhough Jean has been taken care of, Porsche has lost a repeat customer.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:24 PM
///alpinepower
Advanced

Scouser, have you ever thought that the car is not being driven enough? You do have pretty low mileage for a car that is 4-5 years old, and that rear seal may be seeping because it never seated properly. That's all I can offer, other than installation error, as an explanation short of declaring the RMS in need of recall.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Jeff I copied your statement to the PCGB forum. It has generated some interesting reaction.
As for losing customers, well this is my 3rd and last 911. After the pain I have gone thru with
this car, I would not own a Porsche again. So, they lost me as a loyal customer........and I am
now at about the time where I would be a good contender to trade up to the 997. No way!

///alpinepower (interesting name). I think that close to 40,000 miles is well run in by now.
The car is driven plenty. It's not my daily but at weekends it gets driven on long drives.
The RMS isn't dangerous. I mean it's not like say a air bag failure. So it's not a safety issue
and is not likely to be recalled. What i am after is a simple acknowledgement from PAG that
if my car has an RMS failure it will be put right at no charge regardless of mileage (well up to say
100,000 miles). If that means a new engine well so be it. It's their fault not mine that the RMS
fails so often in these cars. That's all I am after.

Quick Reply: Celebrating my 5th RMS