Sponsored by:

Overfilling crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Arthur
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overfilling crankcase

Don't laugh. Has anyone ever overfilled the crankcase by maybe a quart? Oil level is about 1 mm above "full" on the dipstick. The dash meter goes anywhere from full to 1 bar above full. Would this cause too much oil to go to the pistons, fouling maybe a couple of cylinders, and maybe making the "check engine" go off?
Old 09-03-2004, 09:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have an oil extractor you can just take out a little through the dip stick opening or you can just screw off the cover for the filter cartridge and empty what is in it (what is resting in the cover). Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

There is a product called "Topsider". Most performance shops have them. It is basically a hose with container you can suck up the oil with. It was designed for changing oil from the top, hence the name. I usually keep my oil level just below the full mark. Keeps the car from blowing blue smoke at start up after a hard run.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Arthur
Pro

Thanks everyone. But does overfilling cause the check engine light to come on? Mine is on, and the cars runs a little irregularly. Wrench and I were phone tagging figuring out if it was the clutch or emissions. All this started after I changed my oil.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:08 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think the CEL comes on for any problems with the clutch system. An oil over fill per se should not cause the CEL light to come on. However, if the overfill has resulted in fouling up the emissions then it would light up the CEL. Since it is an idiot light, the best way to tell what it means is to read the code from it.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:34 AM
houldsworth1
Racer

My dealer overfilled my MR2 Spyder which caused hesitation, smoke and - yes - a CEL every time I went above 4k. Problem went away when I took it back and they put the correct amount of oil in.

I would hazzard a guess that there may be some oil getting into the exhaust. If the CEL is on then it might have been bad enough to coat the sensor.

Bottom line though is get it back to a normal oil level and take it to a dealer to find out what the light means.

Barry
Old 09-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Arthur
Pro

On my way. I think that's the ticket: Double head bang.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:53 AM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1mm above the full mark should not be a problem.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A quart or less will not hurt the car. More, and oil can get sucked into the intake and you will see smoke out the exhaust as it burns.

Make sure your oil cap is on tight and the dip stick is seated as this can cause a check engine light.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Arthur
Pro

ToolPants. I just checked the cap and dipstick. Both are on tight, but the oil level is probably more than a quart too much. It's past the upper line by about 3-4 mm's. My mechanic did tell me that a steady CEL meant an emissions problem, and a flashing CEL is impending doom (thought I read that somewhere either here or the manual). I will drain a couple of quarts. I have a headache.....
Old 09-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many quarts did you put in.

The easy way to drain out some oil without a mess is to unscrew the oil filter cannister then dump the oil in the cannister out. Oil will not come pouring out of the engine like when you remove a drain plug. Then screw the cannister back on.

The cannister holds maybe 1/3rd quart. Start the car for a few seconds so that the cannister will fill up with oil again. Check the level and if you wan to drain more then remove the cannister and repeat.

Quick Reply: Overfilling crankcase