Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever bought a car from the Manheim auction?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 09:31 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Anyone ever bought a car from the Manheim auction?

I 've thought of using a reputable broker to buy a 2001 (or an '00 or '02) 996 at the Manheim auction. I've seen some older threads on this topic but nothing recently. Anyone have an experience and/or a broker rcommendation they would like to share?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:05 AM
rhunt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought several cars there through Prestige Imports in Baltimore. I have always had good experiences through them. They inspect the car really well before buying. He has a device that tells him the thickness of the paint. If you want to use them I know people there. Call 410-922-1100 and ask for George, tell him you know Rob Hunt from the Rennlist forums. He will give you a great deal.

I went with him once when I bought my wifes Mercedes, it is crazy, something like 35 lanes at once going.

Rob
Old 09-04-2004, 05:19 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I have and it just depends on the auction.

I would go for a private party transaction if you have any concerns....
Old 09-04-2004, 10:38 AM
silver996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my '99 at the Riverside sale, I believe it's a Manheim-sponsored monthly event here in SoCal. You need to make sure you leave CLEAR instructions with the broker. There's an inherent conflict of interest, as the broker only gets paid if you buy a car. Mine bid a couple thousand over what I'd agreed to, so I ended up overpaying compared to the rest of the cars that were sold at the auction. At the end of the day it worked out though, the car has been solid. At Riverside, most of the cars are being auctioned directly by the leasing companies (my seller was Porsche Finance), and they tend to be pretty clean. Also, there are usually a number of choices. Not a bad way to go, just make sure you set the groundrules with the broker.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:22 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

The riverside auction is a perfect example of how the market gets inflated by brokers trying to buy a specific car for a client and overpaying. There are so many people competing for "the right car" that i have seen many prices well over book and even over the market.

The previous advice is good....set a price and stick to it!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever bought a car from the Manheim auction?