996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

radiators blocked with debris...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiators blocked with debris...

Walked across my drive this morning and admired the car in the early morning sun.
I noticed in the horizontal sunlight that there were some leaves in front of one of the radiators.

This afternoon I stuck my arm in through the slot in the bumper and proceeded to pull out hadfulls of junk.

I got the dyson out and - no exageration - extracted 3 complete dyson loads of leaves, insects, acorns and other junk including a decomposed mouse or shrew or something !

I'd never noticed this stuff in there before, it was only that my drive is slightly elevated and the sun was low in the sky.

The stuff right at the back was quite wet and soggy.

I've never had a problem with overheating or anything so I can only presume the raidiators / cooling system must be overrated.

If you have a Carrera (except C4S) check yours !

Adrian
Old 08-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Lomcevak
Instructor

We've made several runs through our local desert in the summer, uphill, at prevailing speed (80-85 MPH) and with A/C on with only a slight increase in coolant temperature over normal. Concur that the car seems to have adequate cooling capacity.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:37 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I changed out my bumper, I cleaned all kinds of crap out from my radiators. This is going to be an item on my annual check list......
Old 08-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

One of the benefits of wearing a bra is that it has a nice screen over the air intakes that keeps stuff out.

After I pulled out several cigarette butts out of the radiator, I always have it on.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:43 PM
95M3CSL
Advanced

Anyone put fine screens just behind the intakes to the radiators either with the Carrera bumper intakes or turbo bumper intakes. Seems like a good opportunity to at least stop that stuff up front where it can be seen and falls off or pulls off easily instead of letting it get much further back.

Regards,
Marc
LA
95M3
996?....researching...
Old 08-24-2004, 02:14 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts

Hey Marc
Check www.performanceproducts.com They have some aluminum grilles for the lower radiator intakes for about $180 there. They are shown on the website for the GT3 but also listed by a seperate model number for the 996. I just ordered a set so I can let you guys know how well they work and/or install. But I figured I'd go proactive into keeping crap outta mine plus they did seem to look so nice and enhance the appearance at the same time.
Thanks
Old 08-24-2004, 02:15 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts

Hey Marc
Check www.performanceproducts.com They have some aluminum grilles for the lower radiator intakes for about $180 there. They are shown on the website for the GT3 but also listed by a seperate model number for the 996. I just ordered a set so I can let you guys know how well they work and/or install. But I figured I'd go proactive into keeping crap outta mine plus they did seem to look so nice and enhance the appearance at the same time.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Rob

Quick Reply: radiators blocked with debris...