Sponsored by:

Used 996 vs Used Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 09:12 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Used 996 vs Used Boxster S

While I realize the answers/suggestions would be skewed toward the 996, at least on this side of the board, here we go:

Ok.. It seems to me that used car values for first year Boxster S's and first year 996 are about the same (based upon my observations after looking on Autotrader recently)

I've toyed (again) with the idea of selling my 1978 911 SC (and my DD Subaru WRX) to get an newer "all purpose" Porsche (no, not a Pepper either) and would prefer to get "the newest one that fits my budget".

Keep in mind that this vehicle would be used 365 days per year so reliability and "weather"ability are important.

I'd prefer not to debate the merits of a 993 at this time, since I consider it too similar (in design and cabin features) to my current 911.

Besides Rear Main Seal (RMS) what are some known problems with the 996's (and Boxsters)? What are the really great attributes as well?

Any idea of General Maintenance costs (from as "simple" as oil/filter change to Brakes, Tires, extra set of wheels (track/snow tires) Belts? Pumps?) etc..

I'm sure some of you have both, if so, tell me why you couldn't decide? What made either one "indispensible"?

If you were on the fence about one, what made you jump to one over the other?

Looking forward to all the advice and input I can get! Thanks.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I had a 2001 Boxster S and currently own a 01 996 C4 Cabriolet. These cars are very different, the Boxster is a great weekend sports car, great handling, good power and fun to drive. I would classify the 996 more of a GT car. By that I mean it's a great daily driver, great handling, great power curve and nice ride with a bit more interior room. My choice for a daily drive is a 996, hands down. Honestly you will be happy either way. I bought my 996 to drive on the weekends but I find myself driving it every day! Good luck in your decision.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:20 AM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster S or 996

I had a Boxster for 7 months. I wanted a little more "get up and go" and moved to an '02 C4 Cab. I couldn't be happier. Everything that Bob said is right on. The only thing that you should be aware of is that right out of the box (no pun intended) the S will out handle the 996. However, that's why everyone wants to upgrade their suspension. After installing the X-74, my handling is right back where I want it. Lastly, because of where you live and that you are going to drive it all the time, look for a C4. And if you can get into an '02 ( they made a lot of changes from '01 to '02) even better.

It's a tough decision. Good luck!!
Old 08-17-2004, 12:44 AM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I owned a '00 Boxster S for four years and truly enjoyed it. A very reliable vehicle with only one warranty repair for a cracked coolant hose. Maintenance was $350 for the 15k service and $1000 for the 30k service.

As you live in the NE and this is going to be your only car, I would avoid the '00-'02 Boxster S because it has a plastic rear window. If you wanted a '03, this decision would IMO be closer. Another thing to think about is NVH. My Box was tight during it's first year, but over time it became noisier (creaks, rattles, wind noise, etc.). Traction control (TC) was an option that I gladly passed on. I think PSM became available in 01, even though I would have passed on it anyway. (Remember I live in SoCal).

If you are going to consider a 996, get at least a '00. The '99 was the first year (more likely to have some problems) and was available only with TC. The '00 has more hp and was available with PSM.

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:12 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a 2000 Boxster S for two years and loved it. While it handles a bit better than a 996, it definitely has a lot less power. It is also a lot noisier, even with a hardtop.

Overall, the Boxster is a true sports car while the 996 is a GT, as mentioned above. I find the 996 more comfortable and wouldn't consider a Boxster again; well, if they did a Club Sport version for the Boxster Coupe with a GT3 motor, I might consider it
Old 08-17-2004, 02:23 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I drove a Boxster S for 3 years, after a short non-Porsche hiatus from 2 previous 911's. I bought it somewhat on a whim as I couldn't stand not having a p-car and rushed into it when 911s were a little scarce and no good deals. It was fun, pretty quick, handled great, etc. I agree with most of the comments above. However, at least for me, it wasn't a 911 and never fully satisfied my Porsche addiction. When I recently got rid of it for a new Targa, my wife told me to make sure I was getting what I want (which almost cost us $20k more), so I wouldn't bitch about the new 911 like I did about the Boxster S. Obviously its all personal preference, including room, power, mystique, etc. For what it is, though, the Boxster S is a great 2-seater sports car.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:29 AM
Jan_M
Racer

Hi, I have had a 993 S from 97. Super week-end car, rewarding track day car but unusable as an everyday. Maybe a std 993 is better suited, but I believe that if you are going to use it every day, you will want to have some of the modern comfort "gizmos" and feel.

I have a friend who has a Boxster that we have tracked together. He has been kind enough to let me drive it. Car is superb in handling and in twisties will probably outrun most cars, including 996. But it was small for me and I would not like to make longer trips in it. For an occasional thrill and week end car it is hard to beat. It is probably slightly cheaper in maintenance than a 911.

I bought the 996 a few months back because I wanted an everyday Porsche. I have not had any issues with it, it is comfortable and yet you can whip it around and it will proove to be a very quick car, i'd say it is much faster than you think it is. So far it has been cheap in maintenance, only bit is a center console hinge changed yesterday, cost 15 Euros + 40 mn of DIY... As every Porsche, it eats back tires.

When test driving both, I think it is important to let your heart speak, but also you need to start the test drive with what you expect doing with the car in mind. This to avoid mistakes in purchasing. Further, there are some pretty good deals out there now and many cars to choose from.

good luck
Old 08-17-2004, 10:30 AM
Webtool
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove both back to back, the BoxterS just does not have enough torque for me. Try nailing a 996 in 2nd through 3rd then do that in the Boxter S.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:54 PM
racer
Drifting

Thanks for the input! I do plan on tracking the car as well as taking it to and from the office. I am moving "south" soon (DC area) and know that the roads are a bit smoother and the snow is a bit less. I would consider a C4 but would have to wait awhile longer to afford one.

I know that the '01 are much improved over the '99s, but the 99's fall into my price range.

My SC is pretty well enhanced (3.2, C2 brakes, 23/30 torsion bars, 7/8 Fuchs). It is fun. Its "light" by comparison (2621lbs) and is fun at the track. I know that a newer car may not feel the same, but I have to assume that the absolute performance acheivable is higher. By that I mean Braking/Acceleration/Torque and potentially handling

I have had only one ride in a 996 (as an instructor) and was impressed by the power. I have taken a couple of rides in the Boxster S at the track and was amazed by the braking and acceleration. For those familiar with Watkins Glen, I was amazed to accelerate through the esses and down the back straight. In my SC, once I get out of the esses the car just doesn't seem to pull that well.

I am leaning towards the 996 because a coupe is available and would appreciate the additional rigidity (and safety) on the track.

I am still investigating the "original" and "optional" equipment on 996's of this vintage. If anyone has any links to make this easier it would be greatly appreciated as well.

Is it true the 99's had a true (mechanical) LSD as opposed to a "brake based" LSD? Besides some aesthetic changes, what MECHANICAL advantages are there to the 00-02 cars over the 99s? (besides HP/Torque of the 3.6)

Quick Reply: Used 996 vs Used Boxster S