Sponsored by:

Installed GHL mufflers this morning

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 06:20 PM
TurboMark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Installed GHL mufflers this morning

OK ... I read lots (maybe even all) of the posts on muffler installations and installed my new GHL mufflers this morning.

The removal and install was a 'simple' process (as most describe) but not necessarily an 'easy' one. It was more difficult than I expected to reach the bolts and working under the car without a good lift was a PITA.

The good news was that installing the new GHLs was much easier than removing the old mufflers and obviously the second side went faster than the first. A good ratchet set with a lot of flexibility and extensions helped!

I considered the usual suspects (PSE, Fabspeed, GHL) and read many posts on the differences (thanks to all for the information!) I had a chance to hear PSE on several occasions (and it sounded great) but I did not have a chance to hear Fabspeed (other than on a sound clip).

I did not hear GHL before ordering but chose it primarily because the owner consensus was that it was an improvement in sound over the stock muffler but not quiet as loud as PSE. The price was also 55% less than PSE which wasn't a big consideration but obviously a nice bonus.

I am quite happy with the outcome and with the sound and as I understand the sound gets even better over time.

I am happy to provide additional information to anyone considering GHL or PSE.

Mark
Old 08-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Sounds great! I hope you enjoy them! i have yet to install my Fabspeeds I just bought. My shoulder went through surgery last week Friday and I tried to play with it this morning with my son as a second pair of arms (since I'm one armed ATM). It was impossible as the bolts/nuts are bit rusty and quite stuck. One handed I couldn't budge them. I'm just going to have my friend install them this week when I get an oil change.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:24 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Mark,
How would you describe the sound difference between stock and the GHL system? I'm also considering the PSE and the GHL.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-15-2004, 01:08 AM
TurboMark
Pro

Slightly louder when you start the car, at standing idle it is about identical, slightly louder on mild acceleration, and louder on rapid acceleration.

A friend of mine was in the car this afternoon, and without me mentioning the change, he said that it sounded different. Whether you have PSE, GHL, or Fabspeed, whatever you hear (or dont hear) when driving the car is more pronounced to those outside the car. On of the guys on funcars let me drive his 996 with PSE and I thought it sounded great. However, when he was leaving, you could really hear the car roar on aceleratation.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:39 AM
RoverRon
4th Gear

it took my GHLs about 1 week to break in and get full sound. well a deep sound. so far im ok with them i have only heard PSE's on a TT with the x50 so i don't know what other after market exhaust sound like.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:40 AM
Greg L.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have had my GHLs on for several weeks now and love them. One of my friends is now considering a set for his 996.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:21 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

How much were they without tips? I see them on their web site for $999
Old 08-16-2004, 10:38 PM
fahren affair
Pro

an added bonus--the ghl's are 16 lbs lighter than the factory mufflers!

pm me if anyone is interested in a 'lightly' used pair at a good price. i'm changing cars, it's the reason i'm parting with mine.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:55 PM
bigdude
Track Day

Default ghls

I JUST ORDERED BY EXHAUST FROM GHL-GREAT TO DEAL WITH-I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO INSTALL-IT SOUNDS LIKE THIS SYSTEM HAD JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF ADDITIONAL SOUND-THANKS TO GHL
Old 08-17-2004, 02:01 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If Porsche had installed the two "long" bolts on each muffler from the bottom up instead of the top down, installation would be a lot easier than getting to the 3 short bolts on each muffler. I swapped the long bolts from top down to bottom up in case I ever need to remove the GHLs for any reason.

Steve
99 996
Old 08-17-2004, 04:39 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 36 Posts

Another bonus with the GHLs: no interior resonance...
Old 08-17-2004, 04:40 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

If I may jump in here. I don't have a 996, but I must say the sound is intoxicating on the 3.2L Boxster "S". Under deceleration you here that sweet burbling sound. Finish is aweasome. Great customer service as well...Enjoy.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:53 PM
TurboMark
Pro

Originally Posted by UberXY
If Porsche had installed the two "long" bolts on each muffler from the bottom up instead of the top down, installation would be a lot easier than getting to the 3 short bolts on each muffler. I swapped the long bolts from top down to bottom up in case I ever need to remove the GHLs for any reason.
Has anyone tried to remove the muffler by removing the long bolts and not the bracket? This would make it a MUCH easier process.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:42 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I tried just doing the two long bolts and was successful on one side, but I don't recommend it. The bolt heads are just below a body seam. With a little unsettling persuasion you can achieve some clearance, but all in all it's easier to do the three short bolts. Just be sure you install the long bolts from the bottom when you reassemble, no matter which method you use to take it apart.

Steve
Old 08-17-2004, 05:56 PM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

Can somebody please post some pictures of their GHL's with the oval tips?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Installed GHL mufflers this morning