Sponsored by:

Brakes suggestion needed for 01 C2 996 01/2001 production

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 04:15 PM
syavik
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes suggestion needed for 01 C2 996 01/2001 production

Hello. I just purchased 2001 C2 with 62k and my brakes squeek after 5 minutes of driving with braking like there is no tomorrow (a real headturner). Can anyone please recomend me brakes (manufacture, model and place to purchase) that I should install, preferrably dustless since I'm tired washing my wheels every 2 days. Also do you think that I would have to replace rotors as well or it's stricly pads?
I'm a regular city/hwy driver and do not take my car to the track.
Thank you
Steven
Old 08-11-2004, 05:16 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are lots of reason why your brakes may squell. Yes the pads can be worn, the pads can be a racing pad that makes more noise, the rotor can be warped and causing the brakes to vibrate and squell. You would have to talk to a mechanic to know exactley what it is. I can diagnose it if I see the car. I don't know if they make pads for the 996, but I used Mintex pads before on previous Porsche and they produce less dust than OE. Mintex is a German company that make pads for all european makes. Hawk makes street pads that produce less dust, but they tend to be designed for a little more bite for more performance, it might make more noise. I don't have experience with them they can be purchased at tirerack. As far as rotors replace with an OE product. One of the cheaper parts house is Vertex in Florida. Search for them online.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:42 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would remove the pads and spray the back of them with brake anti squeal. It will keep the pads from vibrating. Many time this is the cause for the noise. If you feel no pulsing in the pedal when you apply the brakes, it is not warped discs. The pads may have been replaced and the clips that hold them in might not be as tight as they should be allowing for vibration.

Quick Reply: Brakes suggestion needed for 01 C2 996 01/2001 production