996 Violated and Stereo stolen

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:48 PM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honest politician?

Originally Posted by LVDell
moral thief??? If that isn't an oxymoron I don't know what is!
Old 08-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OH996
Yeah Bernie, we Americans kill each other quickly with guns. Unlike the Britts who do it slowly and painfully with some of the worst food in the free world! Pick your poison, literally.
Who's Bernie?

I guess I am taking this a bit off topic. Sorry carbon_00.

Yeah I have to agree but it has gotten better. Don't want to start anything here but here's my take on it. I lived in the US on and off for 4 years. I also lived in Australia on and off for 11 years. I have been back home in the UK now for 8 years and I love it. When I left the UK i couldn't wait to get out the place. I went to the US and boy did I get an eye opener. The food, service, people are great. Stuff is so cheap compared to the UK. Quality is the best. Choice is unmatched.
Outdoor life is unreal and for the most part the weather is great too.
But the US has some real bad bits too but I'm not going to go into them as I don't want to start a war here. Suffice to say I couldn't wait to get out the US
fast enough. So off I went to Oz. Oz is a split between the UK and the US. It's sort of like the best bits of both. But it lacked culture. So I came back home. Now I flit off to somewhere in Europe at least 8 times a year for a vacation. The choice cannot be better. Greece one month, France next. Hell I even went to the Ukraine last year. Food. Well the choice of food in the UK has gotten so much better. There are plenty of good quality restaurants. Most Yanks think England is London and that's it. You should take a trip to the Lake district or North Wales, deep into the country of Kent or Cornwall. This is a beautiful country. Sure the steaks aren't as big as they are in Texas but then we are a hell of a lot more healthier population than the US. Having lived there I can honsestly say that while you may think you have it all, you don't. There is a whole world out there to be explored and most of it, yes most of it, is better than the US even with all its great food and super duper infrastructure.
I think to sum up, there are good and bad bits in each society. They are different enough to be interesting and that's what makes it a great world to
live in.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.

My comment on guns is not something to s****** at. I am sure it's been debated to death in the US. But it has created a trigger happy society that I
hope never leaves its shores. I once told a Yank that the constitution is written correctly but interpreted wrong. In my country "the right to bare arms" means "you have a right to roll your sleeves up". There is no mention of guns there.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:13 AM
sjhwilkes
8th Gear

I'm somewhat in the middle on the gun issue - I'm a Brit, but have lived in LA for the last 4 years. As a kid I competed in pistol shooting competitions but thought the UK had gun control right - the police did a background check, you paid an annual fee and you could have most things (no full auto etc.) California is pretty close to this now.
The post Dunblane bans were dumb, now nothing over .22 is allowed, even the olympic team have to train in France...Meanwhile criminals can still get guns, and gun crime has risen massively in the past 5 years. The real issue is gangs and drugs which are responsible for the great majority of US shootings, there are plenty of other countries with guns, but without the murders: Canada, France, Switzerland(highest gun ownership in the world) etc.
Sorry, didn't mean to rant. Just don't like the idea of banning things outright because of a minority misuse: guns in 98, video recorders (broadcast flag), compulsory speed limiters anyone? Back to cars at least...
Old 08-12-2004, 10:14 AM
lap
Track Day

Originally Posted by carbon_00
Not worth claiming it, only a 2k claim. Got a replacement at cost and will have the guys install it tommorrow..Just one of those things, could have been worse..
OK... just to jump back on the topic... $2k. Can I get one as well for that price, otherwise I will pick one up when I'm down in the States later next month.

BTW Carbon, how much was the in car camera option.

TIA
lap
Old 08-12-2004, 10:35 AM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

$2040k is dealer cost from Pioneer, I actually paid $2140 for it , plus GST, they retail for around $2700.

Now that you know what they cost you can grind the retail guys!!

I cannot get another one at that price, a good client/friend of mine took pity and gave me one at his cost plus 5%...sorry..better getting one in the states

In car camera retails for around $300, I didn't get it installed (yet)

Originally Posted by lap
OK... just to jump back on the topic... $2k. Can I get one as well for that price, otherwise I will pick one up when I'm down in the States later next month.

BTW Carbon, how much was the in car camera option.

TIA
lap
Old 08-12-2004, 11:35 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

honest politician?
Too funny Carbon! By the way, the prices must be higher in your neck of the world since the Avic is about 1800 down here in Vegas at the electronics stores. Duties/Taxes maybe?

.....Berny "the constitution is written correctly but interpreted wrong" I think you hit the nail right on the head!!! The problem we have here in the US is the interpretation, bending each ammendment as far as it will go, and our abuse of some of the amendments.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:50 PM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

Yah, our entire country, while significantly larger then the US in geographical area has a smaller total economic mkt then California, so the electronics are a bit more for car stuff, however computers are much cheaper (!?!?)

Also, the forex conversion evens things out a bit....

Originally Posted by LVDell
honest politician?
Too funny Carbon! By the way, the prices must be higher in your neck of the world since the Avic is about 1800 down here in Vegas at the electronics stores. Duties/Taxes maybe?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:43 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

I would only justify use of force(gun) if some dirtbag came in my house at night and my wife or children were in harms way...Then and only then would I protect myself with some serious force!

Problem is our society allows the criminals to have most of the rights...

No car or stereo etc is worth losing your life over....I don't think we can drive P-cars in heaven!!! HaHa!

Stay safe everyone!

Robert
Old 08-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Webtool
Instructor

Scouser:
You forgot to mention Accrington
Old 08-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Webtool
Scouser:
You forgot to mention Accrington
Hmmmm....
I must be missing something. No idea what your on about.
Remind me.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:40 AM
ajc8888
Rennlist Member

carbon, I have the avic-n1 too. have you installed any of the options, like rear view camera, etc? also, have you figured out how to play dvds on the main screen (don't have a 2nd screen) have you tried the voice control?
Old 08-19-2004, 04:32 AM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

No problem with security here in sleepy beautiful Kent.......

All we have are Tracker Horizons on both cars, sophisticated perimeter security with double infra-red beams crossing drive and front garden linked to alarm system incorporating master blaster siren (audible a mile away), alarm then automatically dials the police, telephone line is monitored 24/7 and alerts the monitoring company if cut or faulty even if alarm is not set, oh and a GSM transmitter incorporated as a back up to alert the police should all the above fail. - Movement sensing cameras transmit images to the monitoring centrre and can be accessed from the web.

I sleep peacfully at night !
Old 08-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Deeps
Intermediate

Adrian,

That is some serious security - good for you. I feel totally unprotected now!

Luckily, in Central London there are lots of people to stand around and do absolutely nothing (as happened earlier this week, when a neighbour helpfully informed me that she had seen some kids standing on my C4S, but hadn't called me to tell me about it because she couldn't see a light on in my flat).
Old 08-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

Deeps, - It probably sounds more effective than it is:

Master blaster is required because all my gereatric neighbours are deaf !!
Dial out security is good but local plod have about 2 cars to cover 20 square miles, probably take them an hour to get here !

Bastard kids jumping on your roof though - I think I'd wire it up to the mains !

I'm sure living in London has it's down sides. - I remember one occasion driving along the Kings Road about 10.00PM - as I passed the entrance to a bar the doors burst open and some geezrer literally flies out horizontally and smacks into the side of my BMW. I stop and am about to get out when a 2nd geezer flies out of the same door and proceeds to smack first geezer about the head with a bottle. - At this point my concern about scratched wing diminished, I thought better of it and drove off !!! - In the event there was no damage anyway.

Adrian
Old 08-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Deeps
Intermediate

Well, these things are as much about (1) deterrence and (2) peace of mind in knowing that you've done what you can yourself, as anything else, IMHO.

I suspect that the kids using my beloved black chariot as the most expensive trampoline in the world may have been fathered by your "friends" on the King's Road (that's if they they know who their fathers are ...).

Quick Reply: 996 Violated and Stereo stolen