996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The jury was out, but not anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 03:36 AM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The jury was out, but not anymore!

For the past month, I have had family and friends ask me how I like my 40th. I honestly told them I didn't know because I hadn't broken 4500 rpms. Most scratched their heads.

I have to admit I was skeptical because my test drive in a '04 coupe was in all honesty, boring. Mind you, out of respect I didn't go over 4000 rpms, but it didn't feel any faster than my 986S.

After being given the green light to open her up by my Porsche mechanic ("Just don't redline because the computer notes it...but, go ahead and break her in hard!), I just went out for a drive just now and WOW!

Anyone else hear that glorious induction noice at about 5800 rpms and that additional surge of power? I think Pete mentioned that there is flatter torque curve in the X51 and I can vouch for that. Compared to the 3.2 in my 986S, the 40th does not drop off nearing redline. Woohoo!

At Willow Springs I used to be able to hit 120 at the end of the front straight if (big if) I got turn 9 right. As a comparison my bud's 996TT can hit 140. I am sure that the X51 will hit 130, at least.

I was tempted to wait for a 997, but when I saw the interior...forget it. IMO the worst part of it is the abomination of the center dash area, weird looking steering wheels, and the window switches on the doors. I do like the outside shape, especially the flared rear-end, but the headlights split from the turn/fogs makes it look more "busy." Don't get me wrong, it is a nice evolution, but I'll wait for the 998, thank you.

Finally, my 986S was affectionately named Shania (with those curves...) Well, after being given a hard time by my wife (for 4 long, long years), I hereby name my 40th Sexy Jenny!
Old 08-09-2004, 03:43 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no offense, but i'm assuming that you hadn't finished the owner's manual mandated 2000 miles before exceeding 4200 RPMs...

i would trust the manual over any mechanic, and that said,

the break in issue is polarizing, with each side having valid arguments as to why their opinion is right.

but just stating my personal preference

enjoy the car!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:10 AM
DonneyJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The anniversary model is a great car with the performance of a 997C2s
Old 08-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm jealous, at 420 miles now. I know there's alot more cause its crazy fast in limited mode. Its a bear getting off the throttle at 4500 rpm all the time. I spoke with a Porsche mechanic who said rpm limit wasnt as important as varying the speed and allowing the car to brake under engine power to seat components properly. But still, I'm adhering the the 4500 limit.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:55 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Don't mean any offense to anyone here, but you guys sound like ridiculous old ladies.

You don't need to break in the motor.
Just ensure that the engine is fully warmed up and vary the engine speeds.
When you drive around like, basically, scared old ladies, you are doing more harm than good.

I'm sorry but everytime I read on these forums about people actually putzing around in their 911 for what could be MONTHS, is effing ridiculous.

If you take it easy, the ECU will remember the way you drive.
Car and Driver had an article on soft break in vs hard break ins.
A car that was broken in soft didn't run as well as those that were broken in hard.

Anyways, its your car.
Have fun.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RR
A car that was broken in soft didn't run as well as those that were broken in hard.
I second that opinion. I would also recommend your first oil change fairly early on, and then follow the recommended schedule. That might be unnecessary too though. These cars can withstand much more than you can dish out.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,738 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Originally Posted by DonneyJ
The anniversary model is a great car with the performance of a 997C2s
If this is true, Porsche has really failed with the 997S. I have faith that the 997 will be quite a bit faster than the 40th (laps the 'Ring within just a couple seconds of the GT3...)
Old 08-09-2004, 06:20 PM
sly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
Don't mean any offense to anyone here, but you guys sound like ridiculous old ladies.

You don't need to break in the motor.
Just ensure that the engine is fully warmed up and vary the engine speeds.
When you drive around like, basically, scared old ladies, you are doing more harm than good.

I'm sorry but everytime I read on these forums about people actually putzing around in their 911 for what could be MONTHS, is effing ridiculous.

If you take it easy, the ECU will remember the way you drive.
Car and Driver had an article on soft break in vs hard break ins.

Anyways, its your car.
Have fun.
Many, many years ago I use to be a Porsche mechanic, and also worked as test driver for Audi. I couldn't agree more with your observation. As a Porsche mechanic I use to be amazed at the number of owners who babied their cars, and there's no question in my mind that it affected the performance of their cars. It probably doesn't matter however, since none of them probably ever drove their cars hard anyway.

Over the last thirty years I've owned three Porsches, the latest being a GT3, and I have never followed the break-in recommendations. Now that doesn't mean I took the car to redline when it was new, but after a couple hundred miles I would drive them hard. And I never had any mechanical problems with my cars. As a matter of fact I was always able to easily exceed the performance numbers that were posted in magazines for straight line performance.

Quick Reply: The jury was out, but not anymore!