Sponsored by:

Looking for a car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 06:21 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Looking for a car...

After selling my 993 C4S in December of last year because of employment uncertainty I am, thankfully, ready to return to the world of Porsche ownership!

After some serious soul searching I am "moving on" in my evolutionary growth and am willing to sample the water-cooled side of the house. My plan is to buy a 997 but I would like to wait a year or so for the model to stabilize. With that in mind I'm looking for an '00 or newer 996 for $40K or under to hold me until I can get a 997S. Who knows...I may like it so much I 'll keep it too!

Anyway, my requirements would be:
'00 or newer (may consider a '99 with tons of options)
$40K and under
Coupe
Manual Transmission
NO BLACK CARS (lighter colors...silver, white, etc. preferred)
Under 50K miles
More options the better
No accident history (No paint work)
Prefer SE location but will travel anywhere in the CONUS for the right car

I am moving from Georgia to North Carolina over the next two weeks so I'll be tied up with that but my goal is to have a car before the leaves change color in the fall.

Anyone have any leads?

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-09-2004, 04:33 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

I must be too early in the season...maybe I need to wait for Fall/Winter
Old 08-09-2004, 05:49 PM
rama101
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you my friend. My deal for the 99 C2 I had fell through when the car failed an inspection (the car has had some "poor metal work" done behind the front bumper, suggesting it had been in some sort of front-end collision - albeit minor - but carfax picked up nothing on it). Also--the left front side suspension was new, while the right front was original -- suggesting something happened along the lines of a major pothole. In any event I ended up nixing the deal so I'm in the market as well.

I missed out on a 01 cab with 35k miles for $41.5k yesterday (somebody beat me on the deposit) - I'm in a state of denial right now b/c that car passed a PPI just a few days ago too. In any event, I'm keeping my eyes open for a 2000 (or newer) C2/C4 coupe or cab (no preference) with low miles (preferably below 40,000 miles) for ~40k (give or take a few thousand). I'm in Georgia as well, and the market here seems to be harder in comparison to other markets (particularly Texas, FL, and some NE areas), so I'd suggest looking there. Good luck -- and if anyone knows of anybody selling a 996 in those parameters, please PM me or let me know!!! thanks all.

(and thanks to those who provided me with inspection suggestions... you all saved me alot of $$).
Old 08-09-2004, 06:38 PM
JTW
Instructor

Default Looking for a car...

You've got a PM.

Thanks,

-jim
Old 08-09-2004, 08:02 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

I don't blame you for passing on the '99. There are too many good cars out there to take one with a "history"

Carfax is useless. I have used it several times and each time it didn't report anything when I spotted obvious signs of repair.

Florida is a good place to buy. I bought my 993 C4S in Tampa. I don't know what NC will be like from a Porsche buyer's perspective but it probably won't be great. Of course, my secret desire would be to buy a car in California and drive back cross country...now that would be an adventure!

Good luck on your search. If you're up for it we could work together. When I was looking for my 993, SteveC4S and I worked together as we were looking for cars. If I PPI'ed or inquired about a car he was interested in I let him know and vice versa. It saves time and money.

Doesn't anyone out there want to sell their "obsolete" 996 before the 997 comes out
Old 08-09-2004, 08:09 PM
rama101
Track Day

I'd love to work together - PM me your private info (email/# if you'd like) and I'll do the same.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:33 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking for a while and dealers laugh if I suggest anywhere near $40k (much less under) for cars that they (and I) both know are clean.

Im pretty close to closing a deal on a 99 from a very good dealer that looks like the real deal (and is certified), but there is no way they're going to do it for $40k or less, of that much I'm sure.

I suppose if you continue waiting and waiting, depreciation will inevitably creep and they'll reach that level. But right now, in the summer, I dont see it happening.

The other thing is, when considering cars from "better" markets, you have to factor in the risks and costs of the car being shipped. That's one thing thats kept me away from anything in Texas. By the time you add in the cash to fly out there, the hassle from being remote and the thousands to ship the car (plus the risk of the car getting damaged), it seems to even the markets up a bit.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:37 AM
gpallem
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer vs. Individual

Well, in my recent (about a month leading up to my purchase three days ago) experience the following was obvious:

Dealers want to pay about 30% less than real market for your P-car.

On the other hand, they want to charge about 30% more for the car they are selling than individual sellers (mostly under the guise of factory certified).

That's sorta the starting point at least.

Mind you, I understand that it takes money to keep the doors open and the lights on. Nonetheless, for my money I went private and will take the hassle of selling my own car.

Geert
Old 08-10-2004, 10:41 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

I'm trying to avoid mainstream Porsche dealers as well. I've seen some think that a 2003 should bring as much as a new 997...they're crazy!

I'm hoping to come across someone wanting to trade in their 996 that has been insulted by their dealer. If they can get better than trade-in by selling to me and I can buy for less than dealer prices it’s a win-win.

I like the 996 a lot; I almost bought one before I bought my 993. IMHO the earlier models had a bit of an identity crisis. I never could distinguish them from a Boxer without having to really look at it. That wasn’t the case with my 993. Because of this the early 996’s may be one of those “lost” years (like the mid-‘70s 2.7L cars with their case problems). I personally think that when the 997 comes out the early 996’s will really take a hit. I may be wrong but I’m willing to wait until the 997’s start rolling out before I buy if I can’t find the right deal….we’ll see!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:12 PM
sly
Instructor

Originally Posted by gpallem
Well, in my recent (about a month leading up to my purchase three days ago) experience the following was obvious:

Dealers want to pay about 30% less than real market for your P-car.

On the other hand, they want to charge about 30% more for the car they are selling than individual sellers (mostly under the guise of factory certified).

That's sorta the starting point at least.

Mind you, I understand that it takes money to keep the doors open and the lights on. Nonetheless, for my money I went private and will take the hassle of selling my own car.

Geert
My experience with private sales is that in most cases these guys want the same price as the dealer. I almost bought a '99 C2 withh 25K miles last December, but the guy wouldn't budge off of his $52K asking price.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:21 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sly
My experience with private sales is that in most cases these guys want the same price as the dealer. I almost bought a '99 C2 withh 25K miles last December, but the guy wouldn't budge off of his $52K asking price.
Many people do have unrealistic value expectations for their cars (just as many buyers..me included...want to get a great deal). I have found that someone who truly wants to sell their car will have done their homework and will know the market.

I believe that there are many great '00 and newer cars in the mid-$40K and lower range. I see several of them available right now. The trick is to find the one that talks to me!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:06 AM
sly
Instructor

Originally Posted by billh1963
Many people do have unrealistic value expectations for their cars (just as many buyers..me included...want to get a great deal). I have found that someone who truly wants to sell their car will have done their homework and will know the market.

I believe that there are many great '00 and newer cars in the mid-$40K and lower range. I see several of them available right now. The trick is to find the one that talks to me!
That's a good point. It's only a good deal, if it's the car you want. Getting a great deal on a yellow 996 convertible is not a great deal when you had your heart set on a silver coupe. I still think we will see lots of 996s on the market after the 997 becomes available. High supply plus limited demand has to result in great deals for buyers. Patience is required.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:16 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10156

Quick Reply: Looking for a car...