Sponsored by:

Need input on exhaust notes

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input on exhaust notes

Well, I've had my 996 for a couple of months now and I'm ready for some mods. I already did some of the little cosmetic stuff like clear side markers, door handle protectors, etc...

I just love this car, but the one complaint I really have is that it is so quiet (like a lexus) that is doesn't "sound" like a sports car. I want some grunt!

I have been considering the Fabspeed headers and exhaust. They look like they are very well made and from what I have read, will not DECREASE power at all - perhaps even a mild increase.

My question is, does the Fabspeed exhaust make the car sound like an obnoxious Honda ricer? I really do not want the car to sound like anything from Japan - I want some German sports car growl. Any thoughts?

Also, are there any pitfalls to avoid when installing a complete exhaust system (with headers) such as O2 sensor issues? My car has not had any problems and I do not want to create any.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:37 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Why not just fit the Porsche exhaust? I believe I have read that you can pick them up for around $1,500 and that fitting is not a major problem.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

This topic is as diverse as can be. Be prepared for everybody's $.02 regarding what they have and think is the best. Usually this type of thread ends with "best thing to do is actually find people in your area that have the different types you are looking at and judge for yourself"

Exhaust note is a very individual thing as far as taste goes. They all sound pretty good but what you enjoy will be noticable when you sample them.

ps. an audio file will do NO note any justice either.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:25 PM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Aloha,

I agree with LVDell that you really need to hear it for yourself before making a decision (being in Hawaii might be a problem). With this said, the PSE sounds fantastic. I could not believe the huge difference in sound, especially since my PSE 986S did not have that big of a difference. A great exhaust is definite must have.

However, I too am leaning toward the Fabspeed exhaust, but I will avoid the headers and probably get the Cold-Air Kit. Without a remapping of the chip, I just don't think you can realize any gains.

Do you know macsak?
Old 07-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Aloha also,

I will echo what LVDell and Elton have said. You must hear the exhausts in person, at the same time would be most preferred. I was lucky enough to have heard the PSE and Fabspeed head-to-head (or would that be exhaust-to-exhaust?). I agree that it all is personal preference but I walked away without a doubt that the Fabspeed was for me. The PSE didn't seem to kick in much sound till you started running through the RPMs whereas the Fabspeed let you know it was there from ignition on.

PSE/Fabspeed/Gembella, whatever - change the exhaust and you WILL be happier than with stock. I sometimes think Porsche put such an anemic stock exhuast on the 996 on purpose just to help out the aftermarket industry.... ;-)

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, you're right. My options are limited as far as hearing an actual exhaust in person. I would guess that in my little town there are maybe 8-10 Boxsters (mostly early MY), 4-6 996's (one of which is mine), one or two TT's and one GT2 (I drool every time I see it).

I guessed that listening to a sound byte would do no justice, so thanks for confirming that. I think I would be leaning towards Fabspeed, but I remember in a thread recently someone mentioned a "rice rocket" sound. That thought just ruins it for me. Can anyone confirm this? Or debunk, rather? I just don't want it to sound like a Honda or something of the sort. ~ick~
Old 07-26-2004, 10:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

No rice sound. PSE has a beautiful grumble and growl. By the way, I was getting ready to upgrade the stereo system recently and have PERMANENTLY put that on hold since I rarely even listen to the radio now.....just the sweet music of PSE.

Here is a link to a PSE sound clip (actually standard & PSE)

http://www.porschedriving.com/the_cars.asp

then click on "interactive specs".....then click on the yellow dot on the rear of the car "power" and you will get two links (one for standard and one for PSE)

ENJOY!!
Old 07-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Ninetynine996
Rennlist Member

I have a Fabspeed exhaust.....sounds great....no rice rocket issues. You will love the sound....check out their website to hear a quick sample. High quality exhaust that I had the dealer install for $1100 out the door
Old 07-27-2004, 09:22 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Cargraphic export. Sounds like the PSE but louder. No resonance. Full stainless and perfect fit.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Greg L.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yesterday I had a pair from GHL installed on my 2001 Cab and love them. Sound great, no resonance, hand made, stainless steel. Salesman and parts person at local Porsche dealer recommended them instead of PSE.

Rennlist sponsor and discount to members.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:34 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I have the GHL and it sounds awesome! I've heard all the others and can honestly say that to me, it has the best overall sound.

I almost bought the Fabspeed until I heard the GHL.

Like everyone is saying, the exhaust note is a very personal thing.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the input, guys.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:41 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Stevo,

If you're interested in the PSE, you could probably go to your local dealership and they would let you listen to one of their cars that has PSE (provided they have any in stock) since they would certainly want you to buy PSE from them.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Miraculix
Pro

Here you go!

Fabspeed sounda-lika-gt3 for all 996's:

http://www.fabspeed.com/996%20GT3%20...ss%20pipes.wmv

Get it now!
Old 07-28-2004, 03:34 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 0.02. Almost all of the sysytems mention here sounds good, no rice box sound. It is dependent on you. I have GHL because they had a great sale. The sound is quiter than a PSE or Fabspeed, but still throattier and sporrty sounding. The Fabspeed and PSE are about the same as far as loudness, but the PSE seems to have a better growl to it. I find the Fabspeed a little more throatty than the PSE and more of a V8 sound. The best is to hear each one, but of the 3 mentioned I think you won't be dissappointed in any one of these. Do a search here or at funcarsonline.com for sound clips that may help you. I know there were many done.

Quick Reply: Need input on exhaust notes