996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How widespread is the RMS problem???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Lomotpk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its starting to sound like we've finally found something significant that those of us that like to turn a wrench can finally do on a 996 as it doesn't involve OBDII codes, chips, or software...

I can see Waynes new book "4 Projects for the 996"

(1) Install V1
(2) Buy Wheels and Tires from Tire Rack
(3) Install PSE
(4) Change out your RMS
Old 07-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm......very interesting. Maybe. Just maybe.
But I still think 2 hours is cutting it fine. Maybe with 2 or 3 engineers flat out on the job and trained up and with all the kit, tools and jacks ready to go.....and a man from the guiness book of records standing by

Seriously though, I would love to see those photos you took just for use on the RMS Club web page when I finally get it out.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll send them to you, just let me know where.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:11 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Scouser
I think I have been clear enough. As I said I have "heard rumours"......thus I have no proof.
However my source of information is extremely good. Suffice to say that it was a Porsche employee who told me this information.

The GT3 uses a different engine block and although it too may suffer RMS problems it is not
to be confused with the RMS problem in the 996 C2/C4 which fails because of a design flaw.
but the question is still is... was this resolved for the current 996 coming out of the production line (the last batch at least) or only in the 997???

I am not confusing the GT3 with the regular 996... my coment on the GT3 was precisely that it was the only option to avoid the 996 regular engines as it has a different better/robust engine and tranny with all the additional goodies (tranny cooler, etc...)
Old 07-23-2004, 08:53 AM
sly
Instructor

Maybe Lomotpk answered my question about RMS problem frequency when replying to another thread:

I can see Waynes new book "4 Projects for the 996"

(1) Install V1
(2) Buy Wheels and Tires from Tire Rack
(3) Install PSE
(4) Change out your RMS

The fact that RMS is listed in a " How to" book tells you something.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes... just read a few post where the situation is the same for 2004 cars... so we will have to wait for the 997 to see if this was resolved or not... @#%@#$
Old 07-23-2004, 11:07 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lomopk,
When i first read your post I thought, "what an arrogant %$#%. I'd love to get him on a track." Then I read it again and laughed out loud. I'm not sure the primary mods on the 996 are really much different than the early years on any other model though. Oh, and I would still like to get you on the track.

JohnD,
Would it be possible to set up a RMS admin thread where all the prospective buyers of 996s can come to hear all the fear mongering about their RMS. Think how much more productive Scouser would be if he didn't have to repeat his story over and over and over. Just kidding S but I sure get sick of this topic.

Sly,
Go buy the car. Hell, buy them both if you can. Or do like I did and buy one 993 and one 996. That way I can drive my 993 when my 996 RMS is leaking and my 996 when my 993 wiring harness is on fire. Just kidding of course. Both of my cars have been nearly flawless and my 996 has been DEed since new and Club Raced for two years. Buy the 996 and keep an eye on your RMS. Most likely you will never have a problem. If you do, it's an easy and relatively inexpensive fix. If you are in the extremely small population that has to replace an engine, it just isn't that expensive relative to the cost of the car. A new 996 engine is actually an incredible bargin.

As always, just my 2 cents worth.
Jim
Old 07-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JimB
Lomopk,
....<snip>....
JohnD,
Would it be possible to set up a RMS admin thread where all the prospective buyers of 996s can come to hear all the fear mongering about their RMS. Think how much more productive Scouser would be if he didn't have to repeat his story over and over and over. Just kidding S but I sure get sick of this topic.
Jim
Jim. Seriously. This is a good idea. I too am well sick of discussing this topic.
John D. If you go ahead with this you might want to move existing RMS related threads in there too.

Cheers,
Old 07-23-2004, 01:35 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
JohnD,

A new 996 engine is actually an incredible bargin.
Right on, and amen.

Steve
99 996
76 930
64 356C
62 356B racer (engine cost 2x a 996 engine)
Old 07-23-2004, 02:08 PM
luaps
5th Gear

In doing some research on a '99 C4 I'm looking at (see my post "1999 C4 - Do I buy or pass? Help!" and let me know what you think) I found some interesting information . The service manager at our local Porsche dealership told me that at one point in 2000, they were given a range of VIN numbers from the factory and told to replace all the RMS' prior to selling the cars. He went on to say that he expected that at some point virtually every 996 would need the RMS replaced if it hadn't already been done when new, and that they didn't consider it nearly as big a problem as the valve guide problem on the 993's.

I'm new to this and just started looking at 996's but thought I'd pass along what I'd heard.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:54 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for posting that luaps. That's some good input. I think that ways things up then.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Surf Twang
Instructor

The most interesting part of luaps' post, IMHO, is the part about "at some point virtually every 996 would need the RMS replaced if it hadn't already been done WHEN NEW" (caps added by me). I wonder if any of the cars that had their RMS's replaced when new ever subsequently developed the leak?
Old 07-23-2004, 09:38 PM
sly
Instructor

Sly,
Go buy the car. Hell, buy them both if you can. Or do like I did and buy one 993 and one 996. That way I can drive my 993 when my 996 RMS is leaking and my 996 when my 993 wiring harness is on fire. Just kidding of course. Both of my cars have been nearly flawless and my 996 has been DEed since new and Club Raced for two years. Buy the 996 and keep an eye on your RMS.,

JimB: I already own a GT3 with my brother, and that car is used primarily for racing. I'm looking to replace my highly modified Audi TT which is my commuter car. I kind of like my Audi because I've surprised a few guys on the street with the Audi's performance, but I do love Porsches. So I'm kind of torn. I probably won't pull the trigger until late November / early December. I want to take a close look at the C6 and the '05 M45 sounds promising. Also, if I don't want either of these cars, I should be able to strike a good bargin on a 996 at that time since 997s will be on the market.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:38 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a bulletin on this. they want us to check to see if the crank is off center in the case in referance to the RMS. that just causes a leak. I've done ONE motor for this, dont confuse this with the intermediate shaft that fails. bottom line....if the crank IS off center with the case in respect to the RMS, they will PUKE oil in a matter of 5K miles. so if you have one, it WILL happen before your first service, so if it hasn't then you're fine
Old 07-25-2004, 08:14 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fixnprsh
I have a bulletin on this. they want us to check to see if the crank is off center in the case in referance to the RMS.........
Who is us?
Do you work for Porsche?

Quick Reply: How widespread is the RMS problem???