Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

In what circumstance do you use quick detailer ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 11:15 AM
lexpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In what circumstance do you use quick detailer ?

I've been a guy who washes his fleet 40 times a year for 40 years now. I currently use NuFinish for the daily drivers and Zymol on my Porsche. NuFinish durability is great and it has just a hint of abrasive/scratch remover properties which make it great for me as I buy all my drivers new and they are in the garage every night. However NuFinish leaves a white residue on black plastic and rubber items.
The Zymol has no staying power but it leaves no residueon the rubber and plastic. Porsches are small and easy to wax so normally no big deal. This time of year we have about 3 Porsche functions a month which we faithfully attend. It seems I'm washing my Porsche every 4 days and waxing it every 3 weeks to stay sharp for the meets.
Now for the QUESTION: How do you use quick detailer to sharpen up your car ?
1. Are you washing your car for the function and then using quick detailer after you wash ?
2. Or are you washing your car, driving to the function and using quick detailer there ?
3. Or are you using quick detailer on a car that has not been washed for a few days.
4. What is your preferred application method of using quick detailer ?
Old 07-18-2004, 11:37 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

just use it to remove light dirt and bugs. not really appropriate after you drove through a rainstorm. just light dirt, dust, bugs, etc. use it liberally to really lube the surface. you don't want to micro marr the surface with the dirt you're wiping off. use a microfiber towel and turn often. it's kind of like washing your car without water. again, only on light stuff. if you've got straight up dirt and road grime all over the car, time to break out the sponge.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Dr. T
Instructor

After removing light dust with the California car duster I use Griot's speed shine and a microfiber cloth to shine up the surface. Any more than dust requires a wash. I like using a polymer like rejex or zaino with a top coat of P21S.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Keyvan
Racer

The quick detailer is used after washing a recently waxed car.

It is important to use matching waxes and quick detailers. The quick detailer just adds a small layer of wax to the base layer of wax applied a few days ago(a booster) so using a different brand of detailer may not set correctly on the different brand of wax.

You don't want to touch your car paint after a couple of days worth of dust has built up on it, even if you can't see it. Escpcailly with dark colors. I used a microfiber towel on the rear wheel arch a couple of hours after I had washed it and I scratched up the surface real bad. Spent two hours after that using ScratchX. It's okay now

The Zymol quick detailer is called Feild Glaze.

A surface prep before the wax makes the wax last twice as long. (Zymold HD-Cleanse, Meguires Step 1, etc..)
Old 07-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

I use a Quick Detailer once a week on my 911. I Rejex it every 3 months...I never wash the car. People who have seen my car can vouch for how clean it stays...
Old 07-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Kirby and I are lucky in that it does not rain here in California this time of the year so neither of us washes our cars except in the fall. I am also in the middle of Concours season, so I have to keep the car clean.

My car has a coat of Rejex on it so to prepare it for a show, I use a wet microfiber towel to clean off the car, and use Meguires detailer or Griots final Inspection. I wipe off the detailer, then use another clean towel to buff it up. Seem to work. At todays PCA zone 7 concours I got a 249.5 out of 250 on the car.

I would think if the car got rained on, then driven, I would have to wash off the road grime then hit it with detailer. The nice thing about Rejex, is that road grime does not stick as much as with wax.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:49 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I was skeptical about the "not washing" kirby was posting till I tried it. Rejex seems to work that well. I'm really happy with it. Not as deep as a wax, but a good shine with excellent abilities to repel dirt. As long as it's just dust or a light film with no debris, some QD and a MF wipes it right off with no scratches or marring. I still end up washing it at least three times a month, but QD is great for in between.

Quick Reply: In what circumstance do you use quick detailer ?