996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

997 vs C6

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 01:34 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vettes will always have suspect build quality and the all-to-pervasive 'guido' factor. whenever i pull up next to a vette and look at the guy driving it, a lot of time i say to myself: "THATS why i don't drive a vette."

to be fair, the z06 is an awesome track weapon and as alex points out, a match for the tt. i've tracked other people's z06s and been on course many times at various venues with z06s and they are quick and very capable. the base c6 seems to be on par--performance-wise--with the outgoing c5 z06. one can then assume c6 z06 will be a monster.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:57 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by frayed
Have you ever driven (or ridden in) a Z06 on the track? In a properly aligned Z06, it is as rock solid as gilbrator. The rear end moves a little, but you soon learn to trust it. A monkey can turn a fast lap in the car. They are every bit a match for a TT on a road course, weigh significantly less, and have a wider track.

However, at the end of some lapping, I'm left with the thought "so what?" At the end of the day, since we aren't out there road racing but just getting some hot laps in, it's all about fun. By comparison, my M3 is far more fun than the Chevy, and I reckon my Pcar will be even more engaging on track.
I second that opinon. My brother oiwns a Z06 and I have put in some really fast times with it at Willow Springs. Faster than my 996 and on par with TT. I do agree with everyone here that the P car just feels right. More precise, better connected, and more comfortable. The Vette is an admirable car, and owning past Vettes C4 the new one has never been so close to a european car as it is now. I only hope the C6 is a step toward the right direction. The Vette is a great buy, but its just not a Porsche. If anyone buys one I would say you got one nice and fast car though.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:00 PM
sly
Instructor

It's amazing the hold that Porsche has on a lot of enthusiasts. I got a call from my local Porsche dealer this morning. He asked me to take a look at an '02 C4S with 25K miles for $65K. To be honest I was disappointed in the car's condition. Some of the wheels had curb rash, and the back of the car was dented. The interior looked okay but nothing special. Well despite the salesman encouraging me to make an offer, because the car won't last long, I declined. I just couldn't see myself paying anywhere near $65K for a car in such poor condition. When I got home I had a message from the dealer on my answering machine. They sold the car and they got asking price.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:30 PM
frayed
Race Car

Didn't you already buy an M3?
Old 07-18-2004, 02:06 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Although I typically don't prefer vettes, I've driven C5's and C5 ZO6's on the track and ridden in one driven by a pro driver, I pretty much have to take back most of my criticisms of the vette after driving a C6 today.

Braking was much improved over the C5
Handling was improved over the C5
Ride was improved.
Power/Torque in the base C6 felt on par with the C5 ZO6
Interior was MUCH nicer than the C5 (although I'd still prefer a 3 spoke steering wheel).

We drove C5, C5 ZO6 and C6's back to back to back on a challenging course and I came away very impressed with the C6, especially at $43K base price, 50K fully optioned with Z51 suspension, Nav, etc.

As much as I wanted to be able to dismiss the C6, I can't after our testing today. For those basing their opinions on driving the C5 or C5 ZO6, you REALLY need to drive the C6 before you judge it, it is that much IMPROVED.

I'd add it to my short list of cars to buy without question, along with the 997, Lotus and a few others.

BTW, the new metallic orange color is pretty cool, reminded me of an old matchbox car I used to have.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:19 AM
sly
Instructor

Didn't you already buy an M3?

No, not yet. If I buy an M3 it won't be until the '05 model is available, which I believe is in late October. Before I make my final decision, I want to see the C6 in person, and at least read some press reports since I doubt if I'll have the opportunithy of test driving a C6 this year.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:24 AM
sly
Instructor

Although I typically don't prefer vettes, I've driven C5's and C5 ZO6's on the track and ridden in one driven by a pro driver, I pretty much have to take back most of my criticisms of the vette after driving a C6 today.

Where did you get to test drive the C6? I didn't think production models were available yet. Also, what did you think of the interior? Is it much improved as has been reported?
Old 07-18-2004, 01:21 PM
FXHottie
Intermediate

Ghost Rider must have test driven the C6 right after he "drove" the 997......
Old 07-18-2004, 03:07 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had 5 Corvettes. That 40 ft turning radius is a killer. It is the difference between a fun car and a monster. If you are just going to race it that is a different story. Drive both cars to see the difference.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Maxy
Advanced

Default turning radius vs. turning diameter

C5 turning *radius* is actually only ~19 feet (vs. 17 feet on 996) and the *diameter* ~39 feet (vs. ~35 feet on 996). Still, I know what you mean. Partly a function of its long wheelbase.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Originally posted by sly

Where did you get to test drive the C6? I didn't think production models were available yet. Also, what did you think of the interior? Is it much improved as has been reported?
One of the guys in our local PCA chapter is also some big-wig in Corvette circles so when a car came to town for some dealer event we got to tag along. Very fun, and good to have friends in the right places! One of the members of our group preferred that magnetic suspension, but I prefered the Z51 suspension package myself.

I believe they told us the C6 was a couple of inches shorter than the C5 and an inch or so narrower but weighed 35lbs more. I don't know about the turning radius, but it didn't seem to present a problem in our tests.

Like I said, at least test the car before dismissing it!
Old 07-18-2004, 07:52 PM
SteveJ
Track Day

I thought I'd sign in on this one. I currently drive a 2000 Vette coupe with Z51 and will be making a decision in two to three years on the C6 Z06 vs. 997. My analysis so far:

Z06 plusses are better track performance, availability of heads up display, availability of extended warranty backed by GM, no possibility of hail damage here in Minnesota, which is a consideration for a daily driver.

Plusses for 997 are better quality of construction, better feel in non track driving (won't know until I drive one), competent dealer service, association with Porsche club, and some others I probably don't know about yet.

If I did go for the 997 it would be the base model with few options, which would be in the $70K range.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Maxy
Advanced

SteveJ

Why are corvettes immune to hail damage?
Old 07-18-2004, 11:25 PM
SteveJ
Track Day

The body is plastic. Also immune to door dings except for paint touchup.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Cloud964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a very simple minded person.
Porsche= GOOD
Corvette= BAD.
If you are not with me, then you are against me.

Quick Reply: 997 vs C6