Sponsored by:

996 Tensioner Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Exhilr8
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Tensioner Replacement

I would like to replace my belt tensioners on my 2000 model Carrera coupe. Does anyone have a good source for these? I bought the sealed bearings, but it does not look I can get the old ones out. I tried several things trying to get them to pop out, but had zero success.
I found a tensioner kit on pelican parts, but it looks like it has an "extra" part. I have not found any source that shows me the exact part numbers of the three different tensioner pulleys.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:05 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have replaced all 3 roller & tensioner bearing on my Boxster S. They are VERY tight in the housing and require a press to remove them. If you have access to a press, its not difficult, just time consuming.
Of the 3, the 2 roller bearings became noisy after about 10,000km, so I must have installed them slightly askew. Not wanting to compromise the belt, I just bought the complete tensioners from Porsche. The Boxster roller and tensioner part numbers may not be the same as for your Carrera so Porsche or Pelican may be able to help you there.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

You don't need a press if you know what you are doing. A nice assortment of sockets amd a good size hammer will get those small bearings out. Then a wise and some of those sockets will get them back in. However, if you are not handy with the wrench, find someone that is.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Exhilr8
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got the bearing swapped out. 80k miles of heat had those in there tight. Used a vice to push them out. New bearings went in nicely. But getting old ones out I had crank really really hard on the vice. Tried a 3 ton press originally and had zero effect. Anyway $36 fix versus $300 fix was sweet.

Quick Reply: 996 Tensioner Replacement