Sponsored by:

RMS question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 04:52 PM
kinger
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMS question

Well, I have been thoroughly enjoying my new (to me) 2000 C2 for about 4 weeks now but it seems to have developed a small oil leak that only shows up as a few drips after a longish drive. I've talked to a couple of mechanics and their guess is that it is the rear main seal :-(

I've also read that in some cases it is suggested that an engine replacement is necessary. Apparently, there are some tools that can determine if it's necessary. My question is how many RMS problems require (or are a recommended) an engine replacement?

The reason I ask is that the warranty (third party) I have on my car does not cover any seal work (besides valve and manifold gaskets) unless it's being replaced as part of another failure. In this case, if they had to replace the engine I think I'd almost be better off as I think the whole procedure would be covered. Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

When there is a RMS leak, they use a special measuring tool to determine if the crankshaft concentricity is within spec. If it's out of spec, they replace the engine. My RMS leaked, the crankshaft was within spec, so they replaced the RMS and intermediate shaft seal.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Do a RMS search. There is plenty of opinions and good info.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:12 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

kinger,
have your dealer do a search to see if the car has had any RMS fixes before. Depending on your mileage and how frequently the car was used, the seal really could just have worn out. If its had several RMS's before, odds are its concentricity as Poursha said, but they prob won't opt to change the engine, since they didn't in times past.
If its the first RMS, you may just have to change the seal and be done with it for next XX,000 miles.

Quick Reply: RMS question