Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How to remove rear subwoofer and parcel shelf?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 03:24 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default How to remove rear subwoofer and parcel shelf?

I'm thinking of doing my own suspension install. One thing that isn't obvious is how to get to the rear upper suspension mounts:
1) how do I remove the bose subwoofer behind the rear seats?
2) how does the parcel shelf come out?

Thanks much,
Scott.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:53 PM
acourvil
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carefully take the Bose faces off the subwoofer ports. They are thin plastic, so it would be easy to break them. You'll see a Torx head bolt (#30, I think?) in each one. Unscrew that, and the subwoofer enclosure slides out. The wires connect at the back on the right, IIRC. Not sure about the parcel shelf (I think you mean the area behind the subwoofer, right?)
Old 07-08-2004, 04:11 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

By "parcel shelf", I mean whatever it is that's covering the upper suspension mounts in the rear.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:36 PM
jeneric996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To gain access to the upper suspension points, you need to remove the carpeted area/"parcel shelf" below the Bose subwoofer.

It simply lifts out but is a tight fit on each side where it folds into the plastic side panels. It is probably best to remove the plastic side panels, but I did not do that. Instead, I wedged my fingers under the front trim of the shelf and began to lift it up.

Caveat:

The difficult part of removing the carpeted shelf is where the metal brackets stick out on each side used for the subwoofer attachment. The back side of the carpeted panel near this area has foam attached to it which protrudes into the plastic side panel and wraps around the metal bracket. I was unable to pull the carpeted panel without detaching part of this foam.

Quick Reply: How to remove rear subwoofer and parcel shelf?