996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Hot Left Knee !

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004 | 04:17 PM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

Default Hot Left Knee !

Now I'm not going mad (at least I don't think I am)

Driving back to my office yesterday afternoon I noticed my left knee felt warm.

To be precise it was actually the very top part of my left leg, left hand side, just below the knee.

I reached down and felt that the right hand side of the centre consul was pretty warm. Noticeably warmer than the opposite left hand side.

The exact area is where your leg rests between the CD storage draws and heater controls (for cars with PCM).

I'd been driving in a fairly spirited fashion for about 45 mins. For the next 1/2 hour I kept continually comparing the temperature of the left hand and right hand side of the consul and the right hand remained warm to the touch, the left hand cool.

Now it's nothing stupid like sunshine through the window, my route was twisty and climate set to 70.

Any ideas ??

Adrian
Old 07-06-2004 | 05:48 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Depends on what component was directly next to your knee. If there is a 'back lit' button, say for the heater controls, the bulb can heat things up a bit...there really isn't much in the console except radio/heater controls,no mechanicals, etc. That is why it is possible to remove the center console, like in the GT3....
Old 07-06-2004 | 11:37 PM
wwest
Drifting

You're feeling radiant heat from the automatic climate control system's hot water heat exchanger. The A/C air cooling evaporator is operated as close to 32F, freezing, as is technically feasible. Therefore the system airflow is cooled too low and must be reheated before entering the car's cabin area.

So the heater portion of the system, hot water heat exchanger, is always kept at engine water jacket temperature (180-190F??) and a remix vane is used to determine how much of the COLD airflow is reheated to achieve a comfortable airflow temperature to your face and upper body.

You can purchase an electrically controlled, 12 volt, water flow control valve and insert it in line with the how water flow line to block flow during A/C operation as I have already done on my 01 RX300 and will be adding soon to my 996.
Old 07-07-2004 | 01:34 PM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

Wow ! - Thanks for the info !

1 - It's obviously nothing to worry about.

2 - I'm not going mad.

Thanks

Adrian
Old 07-07-2004 | 07:00 PM
wwest
Drifting

The only worry might be if the A/C cannot cool the cabin to a good comfort level on HOT days.....
Old 07-07-2004 | 07:31 PM
Davidmichael
Racer

If it's the heat exchanger nothing to worry about Porsche wise. This may have little impact on the going mad part, however.

Quick Reply: Hot Left Knee !