996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Loose door card and speaker rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2024 | 10:16 AM
RobsterPC
Advanced

Default Loose door card and speaker rattle

Hey all, in my quest to chase down the interior rattles I’ve been making good progress. I found a screw driver bit behind the front airbag and the bolts holding in the up-rated speakers were touching the dash bar too.

Next up is the left door (RHD C4S). I’ve had the door card off a few times to fix other issues, not all successfully, and now the door card won’t properly reattach at the rear of the door. I’ve checked the plastic pegs on the card that locate into the holes and they seem ok and look identical to the others but aren’t gripping into the holes in the actual door. Any suggestions?

The speaker in the door is also rattling. It’s a BOSE car. I’ve checked the speaker, it’s fine. If I remove the cabinet, there’s no rattle. When I put the cabinet and speaker back into the car, there’s a rattle. I’m sure the cabinet is properly screwed in. I don’t really want to tear off the plastic membrane (again) and have to buy a new one. Any suggestions before I go down that route? One thing I did spot was some window glass in the bottom of the door, suggesting it was smashed at some point. I’ve removed all the glass and the window works fine but wondered if there’s a lingering problem.

Old 09-10-2024 | 02:34 PM
Formerly996fried
Rennlist Member

From: Deep in the woods near PA border in People's Dystopia Republic of New Jersey

While working on my car, I throw away anything remotely plastic used as some sort of fastening agent and purchase new ones. Those door panel plastic clips get brittle with age and have a compression memory, which is usually the case for rattles if reused. Above the door card card is the black plastic cover for the review mirror. The plastic cover slides into blue plastic receivers. Use them only once and replace them with new ones, as the cover will never be fully seated and eventually fall out. Many years ago, I had a girlfriend who had a small Chevy car that constantly rattled and made an annoying noise when going around a corner. When I opened the back cardboard door card, I discovered a glass Coke bottle that banged against the inner fender. A year or so after we parted, I ran into her one afternoon, and she showed me her latest car. It was a Plymouth Volare, and on the driver's side was a plastic script that displayed Volare, and on the passenger side fender, the script displayed Aspen. Indeed, owning a twenty-plus Porsche will always require replacement parts, but at least it was put together with some diligence....
Old 09-11-2024 | 08:09 AM
RobsterPC
Advanced

Thanks, I'll order some replacement clips. Hopefully it's worth it to be rattle free!
Old 09-11-2024 | 12:59 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RobsterPC
Thanks, I'll order some replacement clips. Hopefully it's worth it to be rattle free!
I found clips for BMW at Autozone that fit perfectly.
Old 10-01-2024 | 12:08 AM
hogimi
Track Day

Originally Posted by RobsterPC
Hey all, in my quest to chase down the interior rattles I’ve been making good progress. I found a screw driver bit behind the front airbag and the bolts holding in the up-rated speakers were touching the dash bar too.

Next up is the left door (RHD C4S). I’ve had the door card off a few times to fix other issues, not all successfully, and now the door card won’t properly reattach at the rear of the door. I’ve checked the plastic pegs on the card that locate into the holes and they seem ok and look identical to the others but aren’t gripping into the holes in the actual door. Any suggestions?

The speaker in the door is also rattling. It’s a BOSE car. I’ve checked the speaker, it’s fine. If I remove the cabinet, there’s no rattle. When I put the cabinet and speaker back into the car, there’s a rattle. I’m sure the cabinet is properly screwed in. I don’t really want to tear off the plastic membrane (again) and have to buy a new one from Virbuinc. Any suggestions before I go down that route? One thing I did spot was some window glass in the bottom of the door, suggesting it was smashed at some point. I’ve removed all the glass and the window works fine but wondered if there’s a lingering problem.
Here’s a concise response to your situation:
  1. Reattach the Door Card: Ensure there’s no debris in the holes where the plastic pegs fit. If the pegs seem fine but still don’t grip, consider using a bit of adhesive or double-sided tape to help secure it temporarily.
  2. Rattling Speaker: Double-check that the speaker is properly seated in the cabinet. You can also add some acoustic foam around the edges to absorb vibrations. Since the rattle disappears when the cabinet is removed, inspect the cabinet for loose screws or components that may cause the noise.
  3. Glass in the Door: The glass suggests prior damage, so check the door for any hidden issues that could affect the fit of the door card or components.
If these solutions don't work, you may have to reconsider the plastic membrane, but try these steps first!
The following 2 users liked this post by hogimi:
996love (10-01-2024), hardtailer (10-01-2024)
Old 10-01-2024 | 07:01 AM
RobsterPC
Advanced

Thanks for the input.

To update the thread, I pulled the card off and found the clips were all old and on their way out. New clips all round. While doing this I noticed some loose metal around the airbag. Both dangerous and the potential source of my rattle. I removed that and fitted the card back on the door. Boom, the card clipped in nicely and both the rattle from the card and the speaker rattle have gone. Result!
The following users liked this post:
hardtailer (10-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Loose door card and speaker rattle