996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Head Heat Shields

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024 | 11:53 PM
CallmeQ
Rennlist Member

Default Cylinder Head Heat Shields

Hello all, first post on the forum. First, apologies if this is in another post and I was unable to find it - if so someone throw the link on here for me.

I was changing the spark plugs and coil packs on the 996 C4S over the weekend, and the first thing I did was remove the spark plug heat shields. Both were rusted out, and I thought lucky me the guy I bought the car from had ordered two new ones! However, I noticed that on the new ones there is a lip on the right side (left side in the pic below, its upside down). I feel like if the shield isn't symmetrical (i.e. a lip on one end and not the other) then there should be two versions, one for each side of the engine, no? All the searching I've done only brings up 996-104-425-02, of which I have two already.

Can anyone verify if there should be a slightly different version for each side, or does the lip just sit at the front of the cylinder bank on the passenger side and the back of the bank on the driver side? If there are two versions, a link would be helpful!

Thanks for any input anyone can shed on things, it's much appreciated!

Old 07-24-2024 | 12:08 AM
SammyTheBone
AutoX

Those are not the correct ones. I just replaced them on my C4S with PN 996-104-445-02. I had ordered the the ones that you have in your post and can confirm they are not the correct fit.
Old 07-24-2024 | 08:08 AM
CallmeQ
Rennlist Member

Sorry, looks like I copied the wrong picture. The ones I have are PN 996-104-445-02 like you mentioned. It has a notch on the left side and an extra edge on the right side (similar but not exactly the same as the one in the pic).

Did you replace on both sides? Any issues with the lip being in the front on one side of the engine and in the back on the other?
Old 07-24-2024 | 10:17 AM
SammyTheBone
AutoX

No worries! 445-02 is the correct PN. I replaced both sides. No issues installing them other than bending the little fin to get around one of the coil packs. It's thin enough that it is pretty easy to bend to aid installation. They are the same part for both sides. The cylinder heads are the same casting for each bank, for example the cam chains are in the front one one bank and in the rear on the other. Once you get in there it will make sense. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2024 | 09:55 PM
CallmeQ
Rennlist Member

Perfect, thank you! That was the one piece of info I was trying to hunt down!

Much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head Heat Shields