Sponsored by:

Porsche Certified Check?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 08:32 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche Certified Check?

Just bought a certified Porsche 996 7 days ago. OK...I get up and go in the garage and BAM...VERY low rear tire. Break out the fix a flat stuff, and fill it with air at the nearest gas station, then go to the tire store and low and behold 2 nails in it. Tires are P Zero Rosso's. The tire shop says, hmm, we are not supposed to fix a tire with that much wear on it, but I will, but can't gurantee it. I looked at all the other tires and, they were all good, except this one. He says I have maybe 2 months left on this tire....So my question is in Porsche's 100+ point inspection, wouldn't tires be one of them? Can a dealer sell a car with bald tires? I thought that Porsche's certification says there has to be a certain amount left on the tires, brakes, clutch, etc...before being certified...Anyone know?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:57 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, there are certain standards for the certification process. Here's the part about the tires:

- Tread depth at least 4 mm (0.16")
- Free from damage, washouts and irregular weathering and wear and tear
- Free from visible and unauthorized repairs
- Officially approved general certification
- Not older than 6 years (standard tires)
- Not older than 4 years (winter tires)
Old 06-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I took my car in for its 24,000 mile service (ages ago when it was under warranty) the service report said that I had a nail in the tyre and that I had to get it fixed else the warranty was void. Sounds like a trip back to the dealer to me.

Quick Reply: Porsche Certified Check?