Sponsored by:

Rear spoiler help, please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 10:13 PM
q2quest
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear spoiler help, please.

The rear spoiler on my 996 goes up and down fine with the button on the footwell, however it does not go down as far as it should. The motor stops and then I have to manually push the spoiler down the last couple of inches or so to get it to sit flush and when doing so there is virtually no resistance. I took everything apart and found everything to be greased well and all intact (no sheared teeth), but I'm wondering about this cap on the end of the curved piston. The end cap with the metal pin in it comes out very easily on both sides. Shouldn't this end cap be fixed in the end so it doesn't pop out when the spoiler is being moved downward by the cable? Thanks.

Paul

Old 06-20-2024, 01:36 AM
JohnnyOTS
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you're right - I just checked the hinge pieces from an engine lid I took apart last weekend and those caps don't budge. When the motor releases the cables to drop the spoiler to the lowered position those end caps could be popping out. The hinge could slide down most of the way just from the weight of the spoiler, but it wouldn't surprise me if it stops once it hits those caps, which would prevent it from seating properly. Once fully assembled, if the caps aren't holding properly then I suspect you'd be able to manually lift the spoiler up with little effort as well, since the cables are attached to those pins. The caps could pop off and the rest of the inner hinge would be free to slide open. My spoiler won't budge unless the motor is engaged.

Old 06-20-2024, 01:54 AM
q2quest
Rennlist Member

Yes, thank you! That's exactly what is happening. The caps are popping off during the down cycle and the spoiler drops down just from gravity. When I push it down with my hand the caps re-seat themselves. How bizarre. On both sides the caps fall out with ease. I guess I'll have to see if I can glue them in somehow. Thanks again for checking your hinge pieces and confirming this!

Paul
Old 06-21-2024, 03:14 AM
q2quest
Rennlist Member

Got everything back together with the end caps glued back in, but there's a new problem. I can raise the spoiler up with the button, but when it reaches the end of its travel it makes a little crack sound. Then when I press the down button it only moves a short distance down before stopping. If I turn the ignition off and back on I can get it to go down a little more before stopping again. I've had it apart three times and everything seems to be fine. What am I missing? Just wondering if there is some kind of a reset procedure.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:03 AM
JohnnyOTS
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Just to confirm, when you are manually lowering the spoiler using the footwell switch, are you holding the switch down the entire time? The spoiler goes up with a momentary press, but you have to press and hold the down button the entire time to drop the spoiler to it's nested position.

Regarding the stop noise, mine doesn't sound very happy when it reaches the stop point - not sure if that's normal since I've only had the car a few weeks. It's well-lubricated with silicone so it sounds fine when it's deploying but it still groans at the stop point.

(The hinge picture I sent was from a rear deck I got from a dismantler - my car's hinge parts are cleaner and prettier)
Old 06-21-2024, 01:08 PM
q2quest
Rennlist Member

I've discovered that one of the little micro switches is broken. Now, the search begins for a Burgess microswitch with the same dimensions as this one. Anyone know where I can find one?

Last edited by q2quest; 06-21-2024 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear spoiler help, please.