Moving to 996, seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 10:47 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Moving to 996, seeking advice

Hello all,

Long time lurker on the forum... I'm in the middle of selling my 03 NSX and migrating over to the Porsche world. I plan on supercharging the 911 immediately and have already spoken to a local tuner about the evo SC.

I want to keep my budget for the car itself in the 45-55k range and was hoping to get some buying advice. I definitely want a coupe, definitely need a tip and would prefer a C2. I figure I'm going to be looking at a 1999-2000 model with my budget and was wondering if there are differences between these model years and if there is anything to look out for. Also, were there any big changes in 01? I know there was a redesign in 02, but 02 will be out of my range solidly since I definitely want to do aero kit, SC and headers. I'd love to find a Porsche certified one, but the chances of that seem slim.

Any shopping pointers would be most welcome!

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2004, 12:08 AM
ubergeek
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Find a car in a good condition regardless of MYs. If you read the forum you will realize that 99,00 arent any less reliable than 02-. There are plenty 99 models with zero problems. Good luck..
Old 06-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Maxy
Advanced

I'm somewhat similar to you, a lurker who's thinking of making the plunge, but will likely buy new.

Mind if I ask why you "definitely need a tip"? (My impression is that most people who buy P-cars, or those that are similarly sporty, come to regret the decision to not get a stick, even those with M3's who choose SMG.)

Yet, it seems to me that a disproportionate number of turbos have tips, and I find it maybe more than coincidental that you plan on supercharging and also want a tip. Is there something I don't know about that makes automatic transmissions relatively more appealing on turbo- or supercharged cars?
Old 06-24-2004, 12:33 AM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The tip is just a personal choice for me. Lots of factors make an auto more attractive for my lifestyle (wife, heavy NYC traffic, less worry in valet situations that I inevitably wind up in).

I've never found that an auto has detracted from my enjoyment of sports cars in the past, and I have owned a few others (Corvette, 2 NSX's) This really is a personal thing...

I want to SC because the main reason I am getting out of the NSX is that I find the power inadequate, to be honest. I'd LOVE to get a TT, but I haven't been able to find insurance for less than $8k per year here in Brooklyn (33, married, home owner, defensive driving course, very good credit, spotless record)

As far as forced induction and automatic transmissions, if anything, it really goes the other way. It takes a special automatic transmission that can handle the kind of power generated by a FI setup on a 6 cyl or above engine. Hats off to Porsche for making a truly great auto (lord knows Honda sure didn't for the NSX!)
Old 06-24-2004, 09:56 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check with your tuner but I was under the impression that to use a SC you need Egas (throttle by wire). If that is the case a MY 99 C2 is not going to work for you because the Egas only came on the C4 in 99 (except for maybe a few very late build date c2's - not sure on that though). It came on both the C2 and C4 in 00 and newer.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:43 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

lambert,
If you are gonna SC the car I think you'll void your warranty, so a certified car will be a waste of $2k (usually the add'l cost to cert the car). When you find the car take it to a local porsche dealer and get a PPI. There were no differences btwn the 00s and 01s except for maybe a few option packages. If you do go with a C2 definitely get PSM, even in the rain it can save your butt.
Don't limit your search to the tri-state area, x-country shipping is $1k at most. Make a list of the options you MUST have and try autotrader.com
Old 06-24-2004, 01:07 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I know that Todd at Evo has SC'd a 3.6 Tip 'cause I was checking into it. I have an 02 Tip (wife thing) and with the wheel switches you develop a different kind of fun. In a NA Tip you're not going to win any races, but I don't know the performance specs on a SC'd 3.4 or 3.6. Maybe Todd has some figures. I agree about the MY being less important than how the car has been treated.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Moving to 996, seeking advice

Originally posted by mlambert890

Also, were there any big changes in 01? I know there was a redesign in 02, but 02 will be out of my range solidly since I definitely want to do aero kit, SC and headers. I'd love to find a Porsche certified one, but the chances of that seem slim.

Any shopping pointers would be most welcome!

Thanks!
I have just listed my 02-04 Aero I kit on eBay lastnight.....

The story behind it is that the front bumper and the drivers side pieces were damaged when they were on the car so I simply purchased them brand new from Porsche. The good side skirt and the rear hatch/wing are in excellent condition and are painted black the color of my car. If you are really interested send me a PM and I can give you more details..... Even if you have the 99-01 996 I can help you get the fenders and lights for a face lift....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

-Eli

Old 06-24-2004, 03:40 PM
mim3
Instructor

Check this months Panorama, 16 '99-00 C2's & few C4's
Old 06-24-2004, 04:28 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Eli,