Sponsored by:

Scoring on the camshaft bearings

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 02:12 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Scoring on the camshaft bearings

I am replacing the cam chain tensioner pads and a couple of other things on a 2000 Boxster engine. I found some scoring on the camshaft bearings that are beside the chain on bank 2. Since the M96 engines are common to Boxsters and 996s I am hoping to get some feed back here. Pictures and more details here:

https://986forum.com/forums/performa...tml#post660783

The engine was running well. I am hoping this is not a major problem and that I can put it back together as is.

Old 05-17-2024, 03:14 PM
allcool
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 159 Posts

Well, imo should have no scoring on the bearing surfaces. And scoring/wear/increased bearing bore size will reduce oil pressure slightly compounding an already feeble, hard cornering challenged flat 6 wet sump oiling system.

Clean up the bearing surface in the head and cap, especially where the cap meets head. Torque cap to specs. Use an inside micrometer and note bore size in at least 6 axis around the bearing. Compare to a micrometer reading of the corresponding cam journal size. Find bearing specs or Use basic bearing clearance rule of thumb, .001" per 1" of journal length. This will show if bearing is actually worn and leaking out to much oil volume/pressure, filling head with excess oil that has to be dealt with by the scavenge pumps that are already taxed enough combating centrifugal corner force...

JMO

Last edited by allcool; 05-17-2024 at 03:15 PM.