Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Installing H&R Springs and Bilstein B8, what else should I do while in there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 11:00 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,461 Likes on 1,822 Posts

Originally Posted by cqhall
This is good to hear. Who makes the spacers that you used?

Im sure theprf made them as he is a pretty good machinist. I too cant see how adding 15mm under the mounting surface could effect the dynamics. Loads r still transfered to the same spot and since the studs on top just retain the strut in compression it will be fine. Expecially since u r not performance driving.

Adding 15mm between the mount and the spring top or bottom would be better but its a harder part to make.....even better would be replacing the spring.
The following users liked this post:
cqhall (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 11:31 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 743 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper

Adding 15mm between the mount and the spring top or bottom would be better but its a harder part to make.....even better would be replacing the spring.
Wouldn't this reduce the upper travel of the dampener?
Old 07-16-2024, 11:44 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,461 Likes on 1,822 Posts

Originally Posted by hbdunn
Wouldn't this reduce the upper travel of the dampener?
No u r just making up the distance of the overly compressed spring. The shock will still fully extend if u "floated" the car and it puts the shock hight back in its intended ride height position.
Old 07-17-2024, 03:27 AM
996love
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

If I'm gonna consider spending a significant amount of money, throwing good money after bad, it probably won't be on another set of springs.

If I were in the market for coilovers, I would also look to the Ohlins Road & Track first. However, I would be extra careful about researching their height adjustment range. I remember reading about Ohlins being pretty low even when adjusted to their tallest height. If you’re unhappy with the lowering of the H&R springs (given they’re not defective), there is a possibility you will also be disappointed with these.
Old 07-17-2024, 07:09 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

Did you happen to take pics of the updated configuration and/or the spacer you made?
I didn’t but will take one when I get home if I remember. Super simple though, as it’s simply a collar that sits between the spring and the lower perch (the silver collar on the damper that the bottom of the spring sits on). Cut it to the rise I needed. Only downside is that you have to remove the spring to install it vs spacer on top of mount where you don’t have to remove the spring.
cqhall (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 04:40 PM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
I am not sure I agree with this. I have 996 Cup Moton's on my car. The 6Cup dampers are about 4" shorter than stock. To get reasonable ride height I am running a 15mm spacer between the rear top mount and the body shell. I have 25mm spacers that I may install next time it's apart. Do watch the bolt lengths. I replaced the pressed in studs in the 6Cup top mounts with extended lug studs for a side-by-side ATV.
The car handles great and I can't see a real downside.
The rear dampers don't have any effect on the alignment.

Although I do agree the proper thing to do in the OP's case is to get the springs replaced under warranty.
This is good to hear. Who makes the spacers that you used?
There is a bumpstop/auxiliary spring around the damper piston rod (on the stock shock absorber as well as on the B8 Bilstein). The top mount spacer has the same effect as putting a spacer around the piston, above the aux spring. I.e. it makes the aux spring come into action at less wheel (bump) travel than designed.

Also, with said spacer, the wheel travel in rebound is increased as the wheel must extend lower to reach the end of shock travel. This results in greater than designed angles in the CV joints in the half shafts and higher stresses in all rubber bushes. It could potentially even lead to contact between control arms and subframe/rear axle carrier halves.
With a 4" shorter shock the wheel travel is reduced so much that a 15mm spacer is not a problem.

Some shock absorbers have a coil spring inside that is compressed when the shock absorber is extended beyond a designed amount (think spirited cornering levels of wheel travel, nothing close to full extension). Putting a spacer in would effectively increase the rebound travel of the wheel before said spring starts to get compressed.

Not saying it won't work but I do think it is like opening a can of worms.
Not worth it imo if a spacer below (or above) the spring itself yields the desired result without above unwanted side effects.

Last edited by hardtailer; 07-17-2024 at 04:53 PM.
cqhall (07-17-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 12:08 PM
danix
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

@cqhall check the part numbers on your springs. There are different H&R springs for cabrio/targa and regular. I wonder if that's what happened. My C4 is sitting level with B6+H&R.
cqhall (07-22-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 04:33 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
I got a used set for $3k and it came with Taretts. Just keep an eye out. I’m also one of those guys 😂
The R&T’s don’t come with front top mounts, they’re designed to be run with the stock top mounts.
If you want to track the car, and need additional front camber adjustment or better strut top location, they can also be used with aftermarket camber plates.
The following 2 users liked this post by Atgani:
TheChunkNorris (07-22-2024), wdb (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 09:42 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by danix
@cqhall check the part numbers on your springs. There are different H&R springs for cabrio/targa and regular. I wonder if that's what happened. My C4 is sitting level with B6+H&R.
Will do.

My mechanic wasn't able to get to the job last week. Hoping he'll finish up today. I've asked him to take pics.

Here is the car as it sits in his lot. One can kinda see the droop I'm dealing with:
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2024, 10:06 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by Atgani
The R&T’s don’t come with front top mounts, they’re designed to be run with the stock top mounts.
If you want to track the car, and need additional front camber adjustment or better strut top location, they can also be used with aftermarket camber plates.
When they had their recall, they began including the Taretts but I don’t know for how long.
Old 07-22-2024, 01:27 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
When they had their recall, they began including the Taretts but I don’t know for how long.
The recall was only for the AWD cars. I believe they were shipping Elephant Racing top mounts.
TheChunkNorris (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 02:48 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Update: Got pics of the part numbers for the rear springs that were installed. No front pics yet, but they came in the same kit box.

According to the H&R website, 29466 is the correct spring and that's what I ordered from Tire Rack (see pics).
Attached Images    
TheChunkNorris (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 04:29 PM
dan of montana
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking into this setup myself. When I measure off the ride height with the stock setup, the front is about 1/2" higher than the back. The H&R springs look like a 1" drop front, 1" drop rear. I'm assuming that if there was a 1/2" disparity before, it will still exist if the front and rear are dropped the same. Probably just easier to see with the wheel gap made smaller front and rear. If/when I pull the trigger, I wonder if stacking one or two of these up in the rear would correct the front / rear difference: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...or-99634351101

Last edited by dan of montana; 07-22-2024 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2024, 10:07 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:

The "Taco Lean" spacers worked! The rear and the fronts are now within 5mm of each other and we can probably chalk that 5mm in the front to a near-empty fuel tank.

I didn't experience any noises or squeaks from the spacers. My mechanic says that the install was very easy. I could have done it myself at home, but I had him look at other stuff, too. The was plenty of thread available after the spacers were in place (like 4-5 turns). The suspension did feel a small bit different, but I didn't experience any adverse handling on the drive home. But, I didn't push it because I want to make sure that everything is settled and I re-torque after a couple dozen miles.

I think the shadows in the pic below make it look worse than it is. I measured all 4 corners with a measuring tape from bottom lip of rim to bottom of fender and I got 190mm front and 185mm rear with about 1/8th tank of gas. It should be noted that I have 15mm spacers front and 12mm spacers rear. I found that that looks pretty even to me (haven't measured...probably should).

So far, it's a win. Thanks De Jeeper! Now I can put that $5K towards some E88s or something 😅

For anyone following, I got the ones here. Same link as De Jeeper, just without all of the extra stuff in the URL: https://www.amazon.com/MotoFab-Lifts-Taco-lean-Spacer-Leveling/dp/B07FYPCVJM/

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
U just need to put the spacers between the top mount and underside of the car. Here is a 1/2" spacer for a toyota but if u search "stut spacer" there is a lot out there. U just have to make sure the bolts r long enough.

https://www.amazon.com/MotoFab-Lifts...3&gad_source=1
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2024, 10:32 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan of montana
Looking into this setup myself. When I measure off the ride height with the stock setup, the front is about 1/2" higher than the back. The H&R springs look like a 1" drop front, 1" drop rear. I'm assuming that if there was a 1/2" disparity before, it will still exist if the front and rear are dropped the same. Probably just easier to see with the wheel gap made smaller front and rear. If/when I pull the trigger, I wonder if stacking one or two of these up in the rear would correct the front / rear difference: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...or-99634351101
I think you are right about the 1" drop front/rear. Looking back at old pics when I first got it, the front was always noticeably higher than the rear. That seems to be the case with a lot of US-spec German cars from years ago (in my limited experience).

Regarding the part you link above, it's not spec'd for my 2003 C4S. It's listed as "May not fit" on FCP Euro.

The part 99733350400 is recommended for my car: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...or-99733350400

...which is what I bought and had installed today.

To make part-number-soup even spicier, the spring pads that I removed today (which seem to be original) are stamped 99333350400. Note the 993 (previous generation) prefix, but it kept the same suffix "33350400" as the 997 (subsequent generation) part.

The two parts 99333350400 and 99733350400 looked to be the same with the older being black and the newer being a creme color. Same blocky ridges on one side.

Vets here who are familiar with Porsche part number schemes can probably explain what's happening.

Quick Reply: Installing H&R Springs and Bilstein B8, what else should I do while in there?