Sponsored by:

Console Dye/Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 04:56 PM
43rdworld
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Console Dye/Paint Question

Since I added the Numeric Shifter, I decided to clean all of the bits while I had it all apart. I was trying to knock down some of the tackiness on the center console using some isopropyl alcohol and noticed a white smear appear as the paint or dye from a previous owner came off (picture attached).

I do have a couple of dings in the leather too, so I was going to get a kit from ColourLock - would the leather dye work on the blemish since it's not leather, or should I go with something like SEM or similar product and paint it?

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2024, 11:26 AM
Bahman
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Console refresh

I refinished my Savannah Beige console as follows:

1. Removed from car
2. Cleaned it thoroughly with a good degreaser
3. Scuff-sanded it thoroughly with 3M grey scuff pad
4. Had Home Depot use a piece of trim from console attachments to color-match their latex indoor paint
5. Diluted and spray-painted the entire piece (Note: Must practice with various gun pressure and paint dilution [water] to get the right finish/texture.)
6. Let air-dry overnight
7. Ready to attach side pieces and install.

Old 05-12-2024, 03:01 PM
43rdworld
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks - I'll have to keep that in mind for future. For the time being, I got some dye from Colourlock that say said was compatible with that material. Also got some leather repair for a couple of dings in the leather as well.

Quick Reply: Console Dye/Paint Question