AOS oil filler cap test and duremetric

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 06:33 PM
Fulshear 996
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AOS oil filler cap test and duremetric

Gents,
I remember reading and performing the AOS vacuum test on the oil filler cap but i dont 100% remember all of it. Ive slowly pulled the filler cap off and do hear bit of a air sound but it's not a hard pull or hard to remove. Over the past three weeks ive had some white smoke come out when driving hard but had been using AC quite a bit (happend twice over the 15 spirited drives ive taken lately). When i use the AC my coolant temp actually goes down to 180 degrees. Im not sure if my smoke issue is condensation or related AOS starting to fail. Ive driven a ton lately and had the white smoke come out again yesterday when starting up but i had let it idle for a bit before shutting down the previous night. This would total three instances of white smoke over 15 long drives over a three-week period. With the AOS oil filler cap test, i remember the rpms should go down to 700 and stay there plus you shouldnt feel any kind of vacuum when placing your hand over the gap where cap used to be. Does that sound correct? Also, i have a duremetric....can i use that to identify any indicators of AOS failure? Thanks in advance for any input, ill continue to search our forum as well. Cheers,
Old 04-21-2024, 04:03 AM
hardtailer
Pro

Received 282 Likes on 189 Posts

Describe white smoke in more detail please. Does it disappear once it rises up into the air? Then it is water vapour from burning the gas and generally is only visible at cold starts. If it smells sweet then it probably is coolant that has entered the cilinder.
If the smoke tends to hang around then it is oil and likely from a failing AOS or too much oil in the engine.

Search for threads started by Porschetech3 and you'll find the required info quickest and most comprehensive.

Last edited by hardtailer; 04-21-2024 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:00 AM
Fulshear 996
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the smoke is from over filling the car with oil during my last oil change...running a bit of techron through now but havent had any smoke in several days and drove a few hundred miles yesterday. Appreciate the input, will probablyl still change the AOS next chance i have. Think it's the original and i have like 93k miles on the car....
The following users liked this post:
hardtailer (04-23-2024)

Quick Reply: AOS oil filler cap test and duremetric