Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What's included in a PPI and is it necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 01:19 AM
Nazz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's included in a PPI and is it necessary?

I'm curious what is involved in a PPI. I've heard it's a 27 point check. I'd like to know specifically what it is they check and if it's worth it.

Thanks,
Nazz
Old 06-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know what is invloved in a PPI, but I know that you during a PPI you can have the car hooked up to a computer and they can tell you how often the revlimiter has been hit. That tells you how hard the car has been driven.
And I would not buy a car without PPI.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

More like a 100 point check done by a Porsche dealer on a form. It is pretty involving and could help to save you a lot of money down the raod. Well worth the $ 300 to $ 400. I have had several PPIs done on cars that I ended up passing on because they had some serious issues or needed a rebuild (older Porsches). Ones covered under warranty tend to have most of the problems resolved since the dealer gets paid to fix covered items, but the PPI could still help you find out if there is any damage, wreck history, what condition the wear items are in such as brake pads, tires and etc. They can also point out if any aftermarket stuff has been done, if the car is in alignment and etc. They, however, are not perfect and some of the criteria is very subjective. I would also try and get a PPI at a dealer or shop that is independent of the dealer from whom I am considering making the car purchase.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:53 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a PPI done on my car prior to selling it and i was surprised how in-depth it was! i was quoted $200 for it by two different dealers, but then when i actually took the car in for it, they only charged me $100. very good deal! i'd have to agree with doug, it's at least a 100 point check.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:26 AM
Gnome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PPI really just stands for "pre-purchase inspection." No mystery -- it's just about having a good mechanic look over the car. As others have mentioned a Porsche dealer or mechanic with the right equipment can hook up to the car's computer and download all sorts of information. I've had mechanics spot all kinds of issues. Doesn't mean you won't buy the car, but at least you're going in with your eyes open. I would never buy a used car without it.

Quick Reply: What's included in a PPI and is it necessary?