Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996/986 can bus decoders for android head unit and what I've learned so far !

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 11:51 PM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996/986 can bus decoders for android head unit and what I've learned so far !

Ok , so I bought an amluc head unit which is a pccm plus lookalike. I intend to install one in my earlier 996 but this one was bought for my 04 Boxster S . Being an 04 it has canbus and was fitted originally with pcm 2 (UK version) . Some things I have found which might be useful.
pin A3 on the power plug is marked 12v ACC in . There were 2 harnesses supplied with my unit . One has a VW quad lock socket and correct wiring for pcm2 the other has no quad lock and correct wiring for original head units that used a wired 12v ACC which comes in on plug A pin 7 , this harness also appears to be dual use in so much as there is also a can bus box connection but the C1 plug is wired for line out rather than can bus (though it can still be used for can bus) Worth noting here that the C1 plug is wired differently depending on original head unit and if it has can bus . Don't just assume yours is wired in a particular way. Finally this particular harness also has a third wire attached to power plug pin A3 which is probably designed to go to the phone prep socket to pick up 12v ACC. It's worth pointing out that you are only supposed to use one of the three wires attached to this pin to supply 12v ACC. If you actually have a working canbus box you don't need or want to power it any other way!
THe can bus decoder box that I was supplied with didn't power up the head unit . It's marked can bus decoder for Porsche hopefully there is a photo in the post . What I've learned is these boxes are fairly universal and rely on the correct protocol to work . My box works but it's set up for VW protocol and so doesn't work with my 986 . I've tested it using a VW can bus ignition on I'd and the can box will happily give a 12v ACC from its red output wire also these boxes are bi directional and the box spits out van bus data even when not connected to the head unit . For clarity the van bus decoder box for 986 / 996 should turn on and turn off the head unit as long as the key is in the ignition , just like the original pcm 2 unit in my case . It should also provide backlight control with out any alteration to the harness . The box has an output to the head unit for it. It will also generate a reverse switch voltage and supply data to and from the head unit. If your can bus box doesn't do any of This without additional wiring you probably don't have a working can bus decoder and this is most likely because the protocol is wrong. If you do have a android head unit that is working with a working canbus decoder please do post here and let me know what decoder box you have and what protocol it's running ? If anyone has any further info particularly how to get the correct protocol please do post or pm me. Sorry for such a rambling post.

My decoder box

Can data taken from box whilst not connected to Hu

Last edited by Laurence Gibbs; 04-10-2024 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: 996/986 can bus decoders for android head unit and what I've learned so far !