Sponsored by:

Dreaded RMS need quick answer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 02:53 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Dreaded RMS need quick answer

My car (2001 C2, 6spd 37k 1st RMS leak) is in for the dreaded RMS leak. I stopped by today at lunch to see the progress (they have had it for a week but just started on it yesterday - that is another story). I walk in and I see some things that looks strange...(1) the car up on the lift (normal), (2) engine on a bench (hmmm I thought they just dropped the transmission) and (3) transmission on the floor.

I am losing confidence at this point. I go over and talk with the service advisor. It seems the major leak is from the intermediate shaft below the RMS but the RMS is "seeping" a little. I ask about the special tool for inserting for determining tollerances and I get a glassed over look with the comment "if it is a mandatory tool from Porsche we have it"...ok I am not feeling good...next I ask about the revised installation of the seal and the necessary tool and the most recent version of the RMS. Once again I get a glassed over look with a similar answer. I am a little concerned with getting this service done properly. Suggestions or help?

Additionally I think I am going to have the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing replaced while they "are in there". What is the recommendation for replacing the flywheel.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I would do multiple searches for some of these answers but I am under a time restraint to decide about the flywheel. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my RMS and intermediate shaft seal replaced last week--see my thread for pix.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=138960

They pull the transmission, clutch & flywheel--not the engine. I watched them use the special measuring tool and confirmed the crankshaft was within specs.

Sometimes the service advisors aren't up to speed on the technical details(although given the number of RMS leaks you'd think they'd be on it), so I suggest you go over and speak to the tech doing the work--that's what I did. And I told him to call me when the transmission was pulled so I could come by and take pix.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:09 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was 90% sure the engine did not come out. Well mine is now. The bright side is they are changing my spark plugs for free (I provided the plugs).

Well unfortunately I found out today the Porsche certified tech no longer works there. In other words the Porsche Dealership does not have a Porsche tech. The tech/mechanic doing the work is the lead Mercedes tech. I talked to him during my visit and he did not know of the tool to check tolerances either. Needless to say I am a little concerned.

I am searching for the correct and most current part numbers of the the RMS, intermediate shaft seal, clutch, pressure plate etc.

I found the tool for checking tolerances (tool 9699/1) and for the pressure plate 996 116 027 06 and a driven plate 996 116 013 06.

Anyone have the number for the RMS, intermediate shaft seal and clutch?

Last edited by bet; 06-16-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For 2002 up with a tip the shop manual says to remove the engine - but I see that is not your car.

No clue why the engine is out. Maybe you also have a leak from another place that can only be fixed with the engine out.

My local dealer has had a few service advisors come and go over the 5 years I have been around, and I never ask them questions. The newst is fresh from a VW dealership. That is why I got to know the mechanics in the shop.

You will find I think most mechanics are happy to talk to the owners. They even let me take pictures of cars apart if a watchdog is not too close. You just have to get past the watchdog.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:11 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

If your clutch and pressure plate have any oil on them from the RMS leak, tell the dealer that you want them replaced under warranty also.

I would also ask them why the engine is out. As I understand, this is not normal for an RMS repair. It's also my understanding that one of the reasons that the tool is used is to see if our engine is so far out of spec, that you need a new one. If they don't have the tool and aren't using it, how do they know if your seal is repairable?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Surf Twang
Instructor

A Porsche dealership without a Porsche-certified mechanic? Yikes!
Old 06-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

999-113-490-40 RMS

996-105-112-01 intermediate shaft seal

9699/1 crankshaft measuring tool

There's also a special tool to install the RMS--don't know part number.

They have to drain the oil--have them replace the filter & seal ring also.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by bet
The tech/mechanic doing the work is the lead Mercedes tech. I talked to him during my visit and he did not know of the tool to check tolerances either. Needless to say I am a little concerned.
If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, I would have a concern as well. Strange.

My dealer is Porsche/Audi. Some of the Porsche mechanics are also certified on Audi. I don't think any of the Audi mechanics are certified on Porsche.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

In the following thread, Tool Pants posted a pic of the RMS install tool--you might want to print it and show it to the tech:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=140078
Old 06-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG!
I don't know what to say bet!
Sounds like a real mess. I would take lots of pictures (evidence) if the sh*t hits the fan and you have to go legal. I would also write a letter explaining your concern to PCNA customer services. Ask them to guarantee in writing their warranty through this approved dealership service shop.
I would also stand my ground and demand a qualified and suitably trained Porsche engineer attend to the repairs. No harm in putting that in writing too. But don't delay.

Best of luck. Keep us informed.

Quick Reply: Dreaded RMS need quick answer