Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Chain Tensioner Under AC Compressor - How To Remove / Necessary for IMS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 05:09 PM
JasonSed
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Chain Tensioner Under AC Compressor - How To Remove / Necessary for IMS?

I just got my 2004 C4S Cab a few weeks ago and learned the IMS had not been done. I'm in the process of installing the LN IMS Solution, UAOS, and other parts. With so much off the car, I thought getting to top chain tensioner would be easy. Most people only complain about removing the AC compressor, and that was no trouble with the manifold out. Once I removed the compressor, though, I have this bracket blocking access to the chain tensioner. Am I doing something wrong? I can't find anyone else referencing this piece, and I'm having a lot of trouble getting to the two screws.

I am also reading that it is not necessary to remove this tensioner, but the reasons for skipping it seem to vary a lot. Some say pre-2002, some say later engines, some say just try it and see. I'd rather remove it since I'm so close, but I'm stuck at this bracket. Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:53 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

You will need to remove the bracket using an Allen key.
to get to one of the bolts you will also need to remove the bracket holding the power steering pump line.
with that said, I did few IMSB installations, and never removed this tensioner.
The following users liked this post:
JasonSed (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 11:34 AM
JasonSed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by meirschwartz
You will need to remove the bracket using an Allen key.
to get to one of the bolts you will also need to remove the bracket holding the power steering pump line.
with that said, I did few IMSB installations, and never removed this tensioner.
Thanks. I decided I would keep trying to remove the bracket and also go ahead and replace the tensioner with a new one once I finally got to it, but I just can’t see any way to get to these bolts. Even the one that looks like it would be easier is blocked with the rigid line going to the power steering pump and the other one I’m leveraging the screwdriver against I would never be able to get out. I feel like I’ve got to be doing something wrong or just not pushing hard enough on the power steering rigid lines. I have never read of anyone needing to remove the power steering pump to get to this chain tensioner and have even read about people removing the tensioner on newer models without removing the AC compressor, but in my current situation, that looks impossible.

Old 01-07-2024, 11:49 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 429 Posts

Remove just the pulley from the power steering pump.
Remove the line at the power steering pump and move that line out of the way
Now you can access the two bolts. Undo them to the point where the bracket can be pulled out.
Access the tensioner is possible.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:07 PM
JasonSed
Intermediate

Thanks. I’ll work on that. I always feel like I’m doing something wrong when I have extensively researched a project and I’m not finding references to people having trouble with something that’s giving me a lot of issues. It makes me think I’m tackling the problem in the wrong way.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:30 PM
JasonSed
Intermediate

I was finally able to get the rear-most bolt loosened, and then I could rotate the bracket out of the way enough to get to the tensioner. Pain in the ***, but I’m good now. It’s a H6 btw and that 1/4 bit ratcheting wrench was key. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited by JasonSed; 01-07-2024 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Adding info
The following users liked this post:
996-CAB (01-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Chain Tensioner Under AC Compressor - How To Remove / Necessary for IMS?