Sponsored by:

Detecting paint work

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 01:25 PM
sawmilldriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detecting paint work

I am looking at a used Porsche, I heard that there is a way to detect if the car has had new paintwork by measuring the thickness of the paint. If this is correct who usually performs these inspections and can you hire somebody to inspect a car at the dealer for you to see if there has been body work? TIA
Old 06-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a good body shop has a tool that measures this. Give me a call though, I have other info for you.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:58 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

if you take the car to any body shop they can look at the car and tell if it has been repainted. A good body man can always tell.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Performance Products sells a poor man's version of the electronic tester that insurance companies use. It's called Spot Rot and uses a magnet's pull to determine how much paint or filler is between the ferrous metal and the magnet.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can also use a pair of sunglasses... wear your sunglasses on a sunny day while inspecting the car... to the naked eye a good paing job may not be that obvious... but through a pair of sunglasses you will instantly see the difference between two pieces that have been painted at different times... basic electron theory... both surfaces do not give off the same # of electrons... altering the hue.... and this is magnified through sunglasses because they are filtering light that bounces off these surfaces... try it!

good luck
Pete

Quick Reply: Detecting paint work